Apple TV very jerky!

Reaction score
Suddenly the TV picture coming from my laptop via Apple TV is very jerky! I watched the last test match and no problem at all.
Any suggestions please as to why it's gone like this?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you experiencing any network slowdowns for things other than Apple TV? Its performance depends in part on the strength/speed of your wireless network.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah, I was just going to ask how my MBP communicates with the Apple TV box. Via the internet is it. Ours is currently running at 51Mb/s - that's our max!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The path...

[Internet] -> MBP -> [WiFi] -> Apple TV -> [HDMI] -> TV..

Your local network is significantly faster than your Internet connection, so that's likely not the culprit. The usual culprit here is at the beginning of the chain above, either the Internet connection, the server you are streaming from or the MBP.

So check how the MBP is showing the video, if it's jerky there, it will be jerky downstream..

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for that. No, smooth as you like on the MBP screen even at max resolution 1080. I've just watched a match on it as it was making my eyes go funny on the TV!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So check how the MBP is showing the video, if it's jerky there, it will be jerky downstream..
Thats a good point. Files that are stored on the Mac, as opposed to YouTube video or other content from the Internet, should play reasonably well if the home network is OK. It is also probably a good idea to test more than one video. I have one or two video clips that don't play well when everything else does. One day I've got to go back and check the settings on those videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Ah, I was just going to ask how my MBP communicates with the Apple TV box. Via the internet is it. Ours is currently running at 51Mb/s - that's our max!

The path...

[Internet] -> MBP -> [WiFi] -> Apple TV -> [HDMI] -> TV..

Your local network is significantly faster than your Internet connection, so that's likely not the culprit.........

Thanks for that. No, smooth as you like on the MBP screen even at max resolution 1080. I've just watched a match on it as it was making my eyes go funny on the TV!

Probably already done, but reboot your MBP, power recycle your Apple TV, and check the HDMI cable to both connections; of course, if still no go, you can try another HDMI cable and/or another input to your HDTV. Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. It was fine this last week watching the test match, just started today but will check everything!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since the video is fine on your Mac that suggests that the internet connection is plenty fast enough. Could there have been anything else running on the network at the time that might cause a network slowdown thus leading to the picture issues?

OP
C
Reaction score
Now I've really screwed it up! I changed the HDMI cables over, no change. I reset the WiFi hub, no change. I reset the Apple TV box, no change.Then the box did a software update, took forever, but now I get nothing.
When I press the Apple TV on my MBP the screen goes off then on abut the TV screen goes blank, nothing? I notice that there is a faint flashing sign on the Apple TV area on the MBP that keeps saying :Air-play looking for Apple TV?
Grrrrr!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.