Lost iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have lost my iPad. As it has a long passcode rather than the usual 4 numbers it seems unlikely that anybody finding it will be able to use it. However some people seem to be very clever at breaking codes. I have passwords for over 300 websites stored in Settings/Safari. These of course require my iPad logon passcode but, if somebody has been clever enough to open the iPad, they will have discovered what its passcode is so that all my passwords will be revealed.

I recently heard a story about a cyber expert who went into a school and asked all the children in a class to lend him their mobile (US cellphone). It seems that in every case he succeeded in breaking into them. I rather hope this is because their security was inadequate and think that my passcode is too complicated for anybody to guess but I am ready for somebody to tell me I am wrong.

As far as 'Find my iPhone is concerned' I lost it somewhere where there was no wifi so, unless somebody can open it and connect it to wifi, 'Find my iPhone' won't find it.

I lost it about 3 weeks ago and none of my sensitive websites have been compromised to date but, as I am always trying to persuade friends to take security seriously, I cannot afford to be complacent!! At the same time changing all my passwords would be a time consuming task so any advice would be much appreciated.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Alwyn

As you have "Find My Phone" active, you can via iCloud, wipe the data off the iPhone whenever it finds itself in an area with a decent signal. I would have been tempted to do that rather earlier than now, perhaps.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You should use Find My Phone to put the phone into Lost Mode with an additional lock (beyond your current passcode on there). That way should your current passcode be compromised, the lost lock will be enabled when it is connected to some Internet service and prevent any further use. You can also then take the extra step of wiping the phone, but it should tell you where the device is..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good point, Ashwin. I'd forgotten about the additional lock.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point, Ashwin. I'd forgotten about the additional lock.

Ian

I remembered it because of the recent hacks of people getting their devices locked by hackers and asking for ransom..;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Unfortunately I was on holiday in an area with limited wifi access. I was also unsure whether I had left it at home until my return. If I wipe the data as you suggest and it is subsequently found will I be able to restore it? I backed it up before going on holiday.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you can restore it (or a new iPad) with the data you have backed up..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.