iPad Pro connectivity

Reaction score
Ever since my TalkTalk router was replaced about a year ago, my iPad Pro and my two iPhones regularly disconnect from the `Home Network.' This requires either a reboot of the router or to switch off and reboot iPad or phones. My MacBook Pro and MacBook Air have no problem maintaining connectivity and the iPad Pro and iPhones work fine with other Home networks at family and friends.

I've a horrible feeling to answer to this is going to be 'teccy' so if it is possible to treat me as a Tech Dummy, I would appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - let me start the conversation by asking you to provide us some more information: 1) What router do you currently own (be specific w/ brand/model); 2) Does this router supply your home network or do you have an ISP provided modem/router, i.e. how does internet enter your home; 3) If your ISP also has provided a router w/ its modem, do you have two home networks (if so one of the routers needs to be set in 'bridge mode' to avoid having conflicting DHCP services running at the same time - YES, this can get 'teccy', as you say); and 4) What are the models of your iPad and iPhones - answers to these questions will help. Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi there RadDave. Many thanks for your help.
1. The router was supplied by my ISP TalkTalk. it is manufactured by Huawei Dina.
2. This router supplies the Home network.
3. I have a second home network. When I was setting up my my Apple Time capsule, the offer of a network was presented during the setup procedure which I took. The Time Capsule connects into the back of the Huawei router.
4. The iPad is a two year old iPad Pro 124 Gb. The Phones are a two year old iPhone 6plus and a two year old iPhone 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there RadDave. Many thanks for your help.
1. The router was supplied by my ISP TalkTalk. it is manufactured by Huawei Dina.
2. This router supplies the Home network.
3. I have a second home network. When I was setting up my my Apple Time capsule, the offer of a network was presented during the setup procedure which I took. The Time Capsule connects into the back of the Huawei router.
4. The iPad is a two year old iPad Pro 124 Gb. The Phones are a two year old iPhone 6plus and a two year old iPhone 5.

Thanks for the information - I suspect that my point about broadcasting 2 home networks (as you state above in my added bold) may be the issue, i.e. if you have 2 home DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) in operation then both will be trying to assign IP addresses to your Wi-Fi devices. I would suggest setting up the Time Capsule in 'Bridge Mode' (see image below) and description HERE (you can google more similar articles, if desired) - not sure what kind of computer you are using (PC vs. Mac), but you will need Apple's AirPort Utility to make the necessary changes. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.39.50 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi RadDave. I have followed these instructions exactly and it all worked exactly as explained in the very clear instructions provided. The Time Capsule Network is now turned off but I am still able to back up to the capsule ok.

I noticed in my list of available networks that my home HP printer is also providing a network! Is that possible? Could it also be causing a problem? I have deleted it via the "Network' settings and hitting the 'Advanced' tab and deleting it from the drop down list. Is that ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ever since my TalkTalk router was replaced about a year ago, my iPad Pro and my two iPhones regularly disconnect from the `Home Network.' This requires either a reboot of the router or to switch off and reboot iPad or phones. My MacBook Pro and MacBook Air have no problem maintaining connectivity and the iPad Pro and iPhones work fine with other Home networks at family and friends.

Hi RadDave. I have followed these instructions exactly and it all worked exactly as explained in the very clear instructions provided. The Time Capsule Network is now turned off but I am still able to back up to the capsule ok.

I noticed in my list of available networks that my home HP printer is also providing a network! Is that possible? Could it also be causing a problem? I have deleted it via the "Network' settings and hitting the 'Advanced' tab and deleting it from the drop down list. Is that ok?

Hi again - congrats on setting up your TC to 'Bridge Mode', your home network should now be broadcast from your TalkTalk router w/ its SSID (Service Set ID which is the name of the network) - keep in mind that your router may be broadcasting more than one network, which should be named differently, e.g. my AirPort Extreme router broadcasts 4 networks (2 at 2.4 GHz & 2 at 5 GHz) - BUT, the important point since you eliminated a potentially conflicting network from the TC, are your iDevices now staying connected (as in bold above from your OP)?

As to the HP printer, checkout this LINK - apparently (of course depending on the vintage & model of the HP machine) the printer may be setting up a 'wireless network' - the response suggests deactivating the network, if a problem exists. Please provide the model of your HP printer and also whether it is AirPrint compatible - do your devices print wirelessly to that printer and was that affected by your actions in the second post above? Let me stop there for your consideration - Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Dave. The iPhones and iPad Pro have not dropped out since I set up the Time Capsule in Bridge mode. So I'm hopeful that your advice and instructions have solved the problem. Many thanks. ����

The printer is an HP Photosmart 6520 and does operate wirelessly using AirPrint. The printer appears in my drop down list of networks available to me.

OP
S
Reaction score
The printer had a 'Wireless Direct' facility that was switched to on. I have switched it to off. We'll see what happens. ��

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave. The iPhones and iPad Pro have not dropped out since I set up the Time Capsule in Bridge mode. So I'm hopeful that your advice and instructions have solved the problem. Many thanks. ����

The printer is an HP Photosmart 6520 and does operate wirelessly using AirPrint. The printer appears in my drop down list of networks available to me.

The printer had a 'Wireless Direct' facility that was switched to on. I have switched it to off. We'll see what happens. ��

Why are my Emojis question marks in diamond?

First, let us know about your iDevices since that was your initial concern - seems to be working well at this time. Second, keep the 'Wireless Direct' disabled according to the instructions in my previous link and make sure you can print 'wirelessly' using AirPrint from your devices.

Finally, are you using the 'Smileys' that are listed in the :) icon at the top of the menu bar (some shown below w/ their keyboard equivalents)? 'Smileys' from other sources seem to not always work, although I just selected the two following from the macOS character map which showed fine - ?? Next time use the KB equivalents to see if the symbols will post and check your settings - let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 11.55.45 AM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
�� �� �� ��

OP
S
Reaction score
All devices remaining connected! Smileys not so! Working on Smileys!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
�� �� �� ��

All devices remaining connected! Smileys not so! Working on Smileys!!

Concerning your 'Smileys', is this a problem only on this forum, i.e. do the emojis work elsewhere? If only on this forum, are you using the 'Smiley' icon in the menu bar or the macOS character map? In addition, open your 'Font Book' (Finder -> Applications -> Font Book.app); from the Font Book menu, click on 'Edit' and then 'Emoji & Symbols' which will open up a dialog box - tell us if its contents are all present or if emojis/symbols are missing? Check this Font Book Link for more information. Let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 3.29.21 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.