Should we create a Windows on Mac forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This is just a poll to gather some input as we decide what we want to do with this topic.

A caveat before we begin...

This poll will not alone determine the outcome. Even if 100% of you vote to create or not create one it doesn't mean that will be the end result, there are many other factors to consider.

Now when you vote, we'd really appreciate a post with the reason why you voted the way you did.

And to end, this thread IS NOT a place to flame Windows users (nor is this board in total).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I vote no. I simply see no need for a new forum for Windows users (even if they are using Mac hardware). As you have pointed out before, there is an "other software" forum. Also, I'd like to point out that it's in the name. MAC-forums.com. Not Mac users who also run windows-forums.com, just Macs, and Macs only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Yes because many threads now are about putting windows on mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As you could have guessed, I voted yes. I don't think we are going to get a flood of Windows only users here, but we already have a fair number of users who want to run both OS's on their Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes becuase it is apparent that windows is becoming a part of macs and i believe our forum should grow according to new advances by apple.

also, a lot of people have questions about it and issues concerning running windows and it will be a good, well defined, place to ask
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
to_tough_to_die said:
I vote no. I simply see no need for a new forum for Windows users (even if they are using Mac hardware). As you have pointed out before, there is an "other software" forum. Also, I'd like to point out that it's in the name. MAC-forums.com. Not Mac users who also run windows-forums.com, just Macs, and Macs only.

I would have to agree. We do have an "other software" thread.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If users would actually use the new forum and post their Bootcamp/Windows questions there, it would be good as to keep it away from the rest of the fourm, but a lot of people just post where they want lately in the wrong forums.

I am for the new fourm if it's used properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Yes id vote for one but make it an alternative OS forum rather than a windows one.

Its still going to be relative as long as people keep the stuff in there informative and usefull

M

MJGUK

I voted.....cautiously, for 'Yes.

Cautiously because I think you (Schweb) and the rest of the admins (if they contributed to the decision) have made the right call by delaying this decision.
Simply because whilst at one point there was indeed a plethora of Windows/Bootcamp posts, now it seems to have calmed down quite a lot. Or at least as far as I can see (blindness is an option :p).

That said, In my view I am verging towards the 'It can't hurt, you can remove it if it doesn't work' option.

However, you have proven that your original decision was a good one and I think that should play a part in your considerations, too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I voted yes, because alot of people are already flooding the boards with questions related to windows on their macs, how to, and why boot camp won't work on their computer. If we have a forum dedicated to it there can be basic how to information in a sticky, and then people can also read problems from other people and post their questions which relate to windows on their macs. This will also allow for people to look for what they want easier, but if they have to look through the "other software" thread they will have to look at other questions not relating

I think since apple is now officially supporting putting windows on their systems, we should follow their path and also support the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Yes, to keep order inside the threads. It is true BootCamp is just "Other Software...", but i can see a lot of people asking about Windows programs running in macs and they can ask this in many different parts of the forum, but to keep them in order it's better to have a specific section.
Also there is MJGUK's point, you can remove it later if it doesn't work.

L

lil

I have voted 'Doesn't Matter'—as it does not affect me greatly not wishing to use Windows at home at all (I have 'fun' with it every day at work!) but on the same count I am happy for users to post about it here.

Vicky

Reaction score
I think it will be good cause it can help out people looking to use boot camp

Reaction score
Windows anything in a Mac forum, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
inflexion said:
Yes id vote for one but make it an alternative OS forum rather than a windows one.

THAT is a good idea...

B

Badger

Like it or not it will be part of the Mac world. It should get the same coverage as linux etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Exactly Apple isnt supporting windows its just allowing users to install another x86 OS on machines that dont support EFI and still rely on a BIOS hence why i suggested alternative OS forum.

For me id like to use Ubuntu linux on an intel mac rather then windows but hey thats me

Reaction score
I voted no.
I think since apple is now officially supporting putting windows on their systems, we should follow their path and also support the software.
Boot Camp is an Apple app. Windows isn't. Apple itself doesn't support Windows. Why should it? Why should MF? Unless like Apple with iTunes for Windows and Safari for Windows, it hopes to gain a wider audience.
Like it or not it will be part of the Mac world. It should get the same coverage as linux etc.
Windows is not a part of the Mac world, any more than Vista is part of OS X's world (or my world, at least).

If MF ends up with pure Windows forums, the site's name would be misleading. A more neutral name would be the logical next step by INET International. Ars Technica, for instance, has Mac, Windows and other OS forums. But its name is platform neutral.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
this thread is old (2006) and don't we have an area now for windows/linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.