Which is the best Buy: Shielded and Unshielded Ethernet Cables?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Most ethernet cable is unshielded as it is much cheaper and easier to work with. Shielded cable comes in three different types and will cost more when compared to unshielded. Unless you have a lot of EMI (Electromagnetic interference) - like in an industrial setting you don't need shielded.

For general home use unshielded is fine. It is much easier to work with as making connections is easier - although having run a lot of it I will say creating connections and putting ends on can drive a person to a new level of frustration. ;D

Here is an article that explains the different types and where each is used: http://www.tektel.com/b1/shielded-vs-unshielded-cable/

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Typically, shielded cable is used when run alongside electrical wiring or similar to prevent cross-talk from signaling in other wires. Unshielded is the most commonly used type, and it's also "what's inside" of shielded cabling. The name, UTP, actually means Unshielded Twisted Pair.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Typically, shielded cable is used when run alongside electrical wiring or similar to prevent cross-talk from signaling in other wires. Unshielded is the most commonly used type, and it's also "what's inside" of shielded cabling. The name, UTP, actually means Unshielded Twisted Pair.

Whoa..I thought it was Undies in a Twisted Pair..good thing I never expanded the acronym then..;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Whoa..I thought it was Undies in a Twisted Pair..good thing I never expanded the acronym then..;)

clap.gif lmao.gif
All you need is to add a jock strap and a cup and you'd be protected and shielded.

:Blushing:

If the OP is really interested:
How To Determine When Shielded Network Cabling Is Required
http://www.electronicdesign.com/components/how-determine-when-shielded-network-cabling-required

Why Use Shielded Cat 6 Cable vs. Unshielded Cat 6 cable?
http://www.l-com.com/why-use-shielded-cat-6-cable-vs-unshielded-cat-6-cable

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Antonio
Thanks to everyone for great reply.

BTW: I don't know what use the cabling you may need is for, and in case it wasn't mentioned, some places (building and insurance codes) require flame-proof ethernet wiring in wall cavities/plenums/air ducts etc. so as to not invalidate some fire insurance. And can apply to Shielded and Unshielded cables. Best to check if thats applicable or a concern.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll second that recommendation. The prices are usually very good and the one or two times that I've called/emailed them with questions they have been quite knowledgeable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.