Deleted/trashed applications

G

Grogen

I, supposedly, somehow (accidentally) dropped my Applications folder into "Trash" and a lot of applications were deleted, most of which I don't even know about yet.
Things that are lost include: Safari and Sherlock (and many others)
I also can't even open my System Preferences.

If anyone has an idea of how to assist me in re-downloading these lost applications, viewing all my deleted files, and, or, recovering the Trashed files and Applications, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

~Devin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would say your best bet would be to re-install your operating system over the one you currently have. The applications folder has alot of stuff in it. Including system prefferences which is why you can not open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
try using the OS X install disk, and then try archive and install, if they don't install do a fresh install which erases everything.

OP
G

Grogen

OK, so, I just noticed that I lost a whole lot more than I initially thought. My whole photo library is gone. I just re-opened iPhoto, and there was nothing in it; it was like I just installed it, or something. Anybody think they know how I could recover some of these files? I guess I could use the OS X install disk, but that just erases everything, and it doesn't really help unless I can find all the files that were deleted.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Grogen said:
OK, so, I just noticed that I lost a whole lot more than I initially thought. My whole photo library is gone. I just re-opened iPhoto, and there was nothing in it; it was like I just installed it, or something. Anybody think they know how I could recover some of these files? I guess I could use the OS X install disk, but that just erases everything, and it doesn't really help unless I can find all the files that were deleted.

Deleting iPhoto should not delete your photo library, that would very stupid of apple. Look in your pictures folder and then in the iPhoto library folder.

OP
G

Grogen

I hear that PC's have a built-in program, or procedure, that can take the whole system back to a specified date; meaning, if my comp went screwy on me and started deleting files (like what's happening to me now) I could just type in a specific date and the whole system would go back to that date without any of the problems (kinda like a time machine or something.) How truthful is this, and if it is so, can mac do it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.