Mac mail password problems

Reaction score
I have asked about this issue in the past and never solved the problem but it has become progressively worst to where it is now maddening. When in Mac mail I am constantly asked for my password, whether opening mail, sending a message, receiving mail, etc. Sometimes it takes several password entries before I am successful. I always click the "remember in keychain" but the problem persists.

Now a very basic (perhaps dumb) question. WHY DO I NEED A PASSWORD? I am not concerned about security and would love to eliminate the need for a password. Is there a way to eliminate the password requirement?

Thank you

poppi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not Mac Mail that requires a password, it's your ISP. So no, you can not eliminate that requirement. You probably need to access your mail via the web at your ISP's site and change your password. That may stop the asking. If it doesn't, then you have something that is not configured properly.

OP
P
Reaction score
It's not Mac Mail that requires a password, it's your ISP. So no, you can not eliminate that requirement. You probably need to access your mail via the web at your ISP's site and change your password. That may stop the asking. If it doesn't, then you have something that is not configured properly.

I am thoroughly confused.My ISP (sbcglobal.net) has the same password as my Mac mail account. Once I am signed in to my sbcglobal.net account I have no trouble accessing the mail and am never asked again for the password. However, when in Mac mail I am continually asked for a password. I am baffled why I need a password in the first place

poppi

M

MacInWin

sbcglobal is asking for the password. You need to enter it to satisfy their security requirements. So, what i would suggest is that you open Mail, then Preferences, then Accounts and select the sbcglobal mail, and enter the information on the Server Settings, tab. That should then satisfy sbcglobal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.