What Now?? LOL

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently had to do a system restore on my laptop from my external backup and when completed, it said that 2 errors had occured. Ok fine, I sought to resolve the problem by manually dragging some files over, unfortunately, my laprtop's hdd is gone (not detected at all). I've been running the os from my backup which is fine really, just kinda defeats the purpose of having a laptop over a desktop...

When I start up without the external on and with disc one of the system restore, I see an unfamiliar icon with a os9 looking file with a question mark inside...then I get the wizard to install the os, which is normal, except again, no hdd...

Kinda funny I think...well atleast it sounds funny...

Curious, is there a way to somehow...resolve this?

I'll check back if I manage anything...truly weird...

OP
V
Reaction score
Alright, no luck so far, I rebooted from my external and checked out disk utility. My laptop's hdd is on the list, but the volume is gray. I ran a "verify disk" on the hd and I got this:

---

Verifying volume "Singularity"
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
The volume needs to be repaired

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

1 volume checked
- 0 HFS volumes verified
- 1 volume failed verification

---

This came along with an error saying that it was unsuccessful...tried the "repair disk" with the same result. Result came in about half a second.

I'm gonna try to erase the hdd along with the volume...(yea, this'll definately work, I can feel it)

OP
V
Reaction score
Curious...

erasing may have worked...yea...it did...

---

All of this is really weird...reason that I went to do a system restore was that I had previously erased my hdd because it was running extremely slow, so slow in fact that my mouse rarely was a cursor but the wheel...I had erased, then continued to reboot with a fresh slate...interestingly enough the problem subsided somewhat but lingered...

when running the os from my backup (this time in panther) the speed issue was non existant...

the problem couldn't have been hardware, or could it have been??

intriguing lol...

Currently reinstalling panther...all seems to be working now, gonna test to see if I can run tiger again at another time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
lol this thread is like a diary..

it sounds like your hard drive is failing.. call apple if it is a still under warranty and if its not, check out pbfixit.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.