Bootcamp Help Please!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the Mac Forums so I apologize if this is a duplicate post. Just haven't been able to find a solution.

Here's the problem:

I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina running OS Sierra. It has 128gb of storage and 104gb is free. I am trying to run Bootcamp to install Windows 10 (I bought a Windows 10 installation usb from Best Buy) but when I run Bootcamp I get this message:

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

If anyone could help that would be really appreciated. Especially if the solution is laid out easy and straight forward.

Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder and go to partitions, do you see just one partition? Be careful while in DU as not to damage anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
My recommendation is to download Sierra and create a bootable USB installer. You will need an 8gb (or larger) USB/Flash/Thumb drive for this. After you download Sierra, make a complete backup of all files you need saved.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

After you make the USB installer, restart the MBP and hold "option" to get to the boot options screen. You want to start up from the USB, so select that. You want to get into Disk Utility to erase and partition the drive. In the sidebar, you will see the connected volumes and disks. Select the upper most volume, and select Erase.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22241?locale=en_US

After the disk has been erased, you can start with the installation of Sierra, by quitting out of Disk Utility.

OP
B
Reaction score
So pretty much download a seperate version of Sierra to the USB (I have a 16gb one) then follow the steps after the first link you put in? I have nothing to back-up thankfully

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.