Connecting Windows with Mac

K

Kamakazi

Hey guys,
I just ordered the new Mac Mini with the Intel Core Duo and I have a PC running Windows XP. I would like to transfer some of my files to the new Mac and also share the internet connection with the new Mac, but the problem is that I have an adsl modem connected to a network card on my PC (no router). I also noticed that the new Mac mini comes with a built in wireless network which theoretically speaking if I get a wireless usb network I should be able to connect both computers together for file transfer as well as Internet but I have no idea how I can do that! Any help regarding this subject is much apreciated, also any suggestions for alternative solutions would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Kamakazi said:
Hey guys,
I just ordered the new Mac Mini with the Intel Core Duo and I have a PC running Windows XP. I would like to transfer some of my files to the new Mac and also share the internet connection with the new Mac, but the problem is that I have an adsl modem connected to a network card on my PC (no router). I also noticed that the new Mac mini comes with a built in wireless network which theoretically speaking if I get a wireless usb network I should be able to connect both computers together for file transfer as well as Internet but I have no idea how I can do that! Any help regarding this subject is much apreciated, also any suggestions for alternative solutions would be great.
Thanks in advance.

It's a piece of cake. You'll be sharing files in no time, once you get the router.

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

OP
K

Kamakazi

Thanks Timswim.
That would be true if i buy a router. But I'm trying to avoid buying a router and only buying another network card for my PC and connect the Mac with the PC through network adapters only. When I wrote earlier in my first post "if i get a wireless usb network" I meant to say a wireless usb network adapter. So anyone has any ideas about that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Using that guide I can't seem to get the XP to find the network. I tried with with the \\ before and then again with the accountn name after the IP but still ntohignf ound. Where do I choose to have it ok to log in with Windows on the mac in the account area? I am running 10.4

OP
S

Steve1

If you haven't sorted out the problem yet:

I suggest you buy a wireless router with a USB wireless dongle (many companies do a set - router + dongle).
Your adsl modem and network card? Sell it over e-bay or give it to a friend.

I have an iMac + 2 PC laptops connected like this.

If you have sorted out the problem:
let us know.

OP
K

Kamakazi

I already bought a wireless router and a modem. It seemed like the only way for me to get internet on the mac and pc at the same time. I don't really care about exchanging files between the two because i use each one for a different reason although most of my work is shifting to mac. But the router and the modem are in the same device, which means less wires and less space (GOOD!). So now i have an extra modem that is probably worthless.
But my goal behind this thread was to find out if I can connect a Mac and a PC to share an Internet Connection from a PC and perhaps exchange files as well WITHOUT A ROUTER. If someone knows of any solution that doesn't include a router please let me know. Just out of curiousity now! :dive:

OP
L

Logan

I don't know how to do it with mac or pc, but with linux you can use ipchains and two network cards to imitate a gateway + router (which is what you're wanting) and allow different machines access to one WAN connection. It even lets you script custom port blocking or ban users you don't like via this route. You still need a hub though, if you're planning to use 2+ machines afterwords. I used to do this when I was poor and an old 90mhz machine was cheaper and more accessable than going out and buying a router.

Now adays? just buy the router. Just be sure to SET THE FREAKING PASSWORD to something new, factory default passwords on a router = not good.

If you're using wireless, PLEASE secure it. Things to note when using a wireless network are briefly mentioned here

Be sure to set WEP encryption (ideally WEP2 if supported)

Disable SSID broadcasting. Change the name of the SSID.

A friend's quote: "Linksys: The Worldwide Internet Provider"

Enable MAC filtering and put all your computer's mac addresses on it.

This stuff won't totally stop hackers but it'll eliminate a lot of them.

If you can avoid wireless, please do. If you are doing serious business transactions, you may want to consider using a closed network (wired to the internet) instead.

Have fun with your new router!

OP
L

Logan

Honestly I bet it's relatively easy on a PC machine, but I really don't suggest it. PC's are vulnerable to begin with, setting it as a gateway or router is probably the most non-ideal thing you can do. If you *ABSOLUTELY* want it to be your gateway/router machine, with windows installed, get a NT solution (Windows 2003).

Mac I bet you can install/set up Ipchains to work, heck, you may even be able to do it out of the box. I haven't used OS X very long.

OP
K

Kamakazi

hehe... I like your friends qoute "Linksys: The Worldwide Internet Provider"
Anyway about that, I live in Palestine, and we build our homes with bricks and concrete. I sometimes loose the wireless within my house! We don't have to worry about the wireless security issues, but never the less, I tried securing my network and it was fairly easy but i noticed that it was a bit slower.
Anyway, thanks a lot guys, I got the router and i can connect up to 6 computers to it, but what pisses me off right now is when i connect both of my computers and they are downloading something of some sort for a long period of time (1-2 days) I get this balloon message from windows: Limited or no connectivity. And from Mac: No available networks.

Perhaps i just need to update the software for it.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
When I was in college for spring semester my friend was selling his mini on eBay and while it was on auction we used it as a wireless router :doctor:

OP
K

Kamakazi

ezhangin said:
When I was in college for spring semester my friend was selling his mini on eBay and while it was on auction we used it as a wireless router :doctor:
Do you know how he did that? Or Can you find out if you don't know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Sharing Preferences>Internet.... pretty self explanatory after that.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
IronMac said:
Sharing Preferences>Internet.... pretty self explanatory after that.

Yup that's how you do it, very easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.