Parental Controls

Reaction score
I have a brand new Mac Pro for my sons school work. He occasionally goes on websites we prohibit. I tried using the terminal command to block him from deleting safari history but was unsuccessful likely because it was an old post. Can anyone one help please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? Maybe I'm missing something but why not setup and use the System Preferences > Parental Controls and prevent the website access in the first place??? :[

Or, for some routers, some websites can be denied access via their Access Control-Schedule setup I believe it's called.

EDIT:
Have a look and a read here:
How to block certain websites from your home Wifi-network?
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-to-block-certain-websites-from-your-home-wifi-network/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Post moved to correct forum. Has nothing to do with iOS Apps which are for devices such as an iPhone or iPad.

Also, you mention brand new Mac Pro? Do you mean brand new MacBook Pro instead? (A Mac Pro is a large desktop machine.)

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes MacBook Pro. Sorry I'm a stage one newbie ?

I did that but still want to see the history. Also for some reason if I log on to my kids profile my settings are gone. He doesn't have my password and I did lock the settings. Don't understand why they keep disappearing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for the link Patrick. I will have a look but my wife uses Facebook and don't want to block her.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Make sure that your son has a standard or guest user account with NO admin privileges.

It might be the case that you have inadvertently set up your son's account as an Admin account- and that would allow him to make changes and use the computer in a way which you might feel was inappropriate.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the link Patrick. I will have a look but my wife uses Facebook and don't want to block her.

I doubt that any "Facebook" would be blocked. I believe it uses a different connection method somehow but don't know how.

PS: How many are using that Mac as registered users?? Just curious… but if so, maybe check the username account status settings for each as suggested, and are they actually being logged into and used by each user.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also for some reason if I log on to my kids profile my settings are gone.

I would suggest that that's normal if his account has been setup as standard or guest user account. They are quite restricted with such settings and your admin user stuff should not normally even be available, and definitely not accessible, at least not without some useable admin username and password.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.