Imac prints are faded

Reaction score
My iMac has printed on all my printers - Epson, Canon, HP - with a washed out faded look. It has always done this since new whether printing from Acrobat, Photoshop or any other program. From looking at internet posts this is a common issue and there must be a setting somewhere in my iMac to correct this problem. Currently I have to transfer everything to my PC to get decent printing. I'm not too much of a techie, so a simple solution would be wonderful. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From looking at internet posts this is a common issue...

Not true. If it was...we would have MANY threads discussing this issue. I can't remember one. Not saying you don't have an issue...just saying it's not common.

Also...we have no idea what you have:

- Don't know what iMac model you have (there are easily over 100 different iMac models).
- Don't know what OS version you have installed.
- Don't know what printer model you have.
- Don't know what apps you are trying to print from.
- Don't know what other apps you may have installed that may be interfering with printing from your iMac.

All of this could be useful info in solving the issue.

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area. Not a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From looking at internet posts this is a common issue and there must be a setting somewhere in my iMac to correct this problem. Currently I have to transfer everything to my PC to get decent printing. I'm not too much of a techie, so a simple solution would be wonderful. Any ideas?

Your iMac (which one do you have?) does not control the quality of print; that's the job of the print drivers and what options are available on any particular printer. The most common reason for washed out printing is that the printers are set for "economy" mode (if available).

Another reason may be that your printers are hooked to a power strip or are receiving lower than normal power. That will cause print jobs to be of a lower quality. But again, there is no specific setting in your iMac that controls the print quality. And if the problem exists with all the printers you mentioned above, I would be looking for a common cause other than some setting on your Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are using a Canon printer Poke around the settings in the driver. One setting gives you more control over the color. In the drivers for some of their photo printer such as the Pixma MP 990 there is a setting for color that says "vivid". That might help. I can't test it because I no longer have access to a Canon printer.

I've experienced other printing issues, especially when printing photos, but don't remember anything like you are describing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Most printers also have an option to choose the paper type and/or quality in their print window option settings that can sure affect print quality as well as some of the other options already mentioned.

Ink quality can also affect the output but that should be the same as with using the Windows machine.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.