Facebook glitch?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having an issue with Facebook that hasn't allowed me on social media for a month now. One day I received a message when visiting my Facebook page, "suspicious activity" on my account. I was promptly logged out and asked to add a mobile phone number for extra security purposes.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 2.19.48 PM.png

I logged back in, clicked the tab to add mobile number and immediately got this...

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 2.20.00 PM.png

It's just a loop, I can't do anything on Facebook now. This is on my Imac, not a phone issue, I don't do cell phones. There's no getting in to reach the help center or anything though. I have nowhere to turn for help, Facebook doesn't care about it's users because we're just a product so they don't offer phone support. I don't know what to do, I created a new account to reach the help center and I get the exact same result with this mobile number bull crap. Is there something in the settings of my Imac causing this? Please help if you can, thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Two step validation has overtaken the world alas. IMHO Facebook would not be a major tragedy, but banking etc is very difficult without that cell phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
His problem Patrick is he does not have a mobile phone and Facebook has stated two step verification.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What has me puzzled is why he responded in the first place to the original message and entered a mobile number if like he said "I don't do cell phones"? What number did he respond with? 2FA requires a valid number in order that the code may be received.

BTW, if the same thing occurs with 2FA and your Apple ID, look forward to being locked out of your account for 2 weeks or so until Apple sorts it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Guys I already have a cell number linked so none of this makes any sense.

Great, then why did you say you didn't do cell phones? If you do have a cell phone with a valid number, did you receive the code that FB sent you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
His problem Patrick is he does not have a mobile phone and Facebook has stated two step verification.

Thanks harryb, I guess I did read that but it made no sense to me.

I think I got a similar message from FB a while ago but I seldom even use my flip mobile phone so I basically told them to shove it… and just basically ignore anything they send.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bigger problem in all this is 2FA in general. If implemented correctly and responded to correctly, all is well. But what happens is that Murphy's law takes over, folks do not respond when a code is sent for one reason or another. Then the account gets shut down because it assumes that fraud is involved. I don't know how many sad stories of 2FA going wrong that I have read here and on other forums, but it's substantial enough to convince me that I don't want to use it.

However, Apple in their "wisdom" is requiring all new accounts to use 2FA. Thank you "Big Brother"! ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.