mp3 to MIDI converter?

x59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Aluminum Macbook 2.0gHz, core i5 Mac Mini.
Is there a compatible mp3 --> midi converter for 10.4? I am trying to make my own ringontes for my VZW e815, and unless anyone else has some recommendations, I need to convert the files to midi after i clip them in Audacity.

TIA

OP
X

x59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Aluminum Macbook 2.0gHz, core i5 Mac Mini.
L

Logan

Well mp3 is a compressed audio file while a MIDI is more like programmed notes and instruments..

That conversion is like asking if you can get an 8 track to sheet music...

You can get MIDI to MP3, by playing the MIDI through a device that supports it then recording it to an audio file (You'll notice, different devices will play MIDI's differently depending on how they synthesize each note.. you'll also notice the filesize of a MIDI is rediculously smaller).

You're probably better off doing a "<songname> MIDI" search on Ask.com or Google than finding a converter....

At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
Logan is right. There is no program that could convert mp3 to midi, nor could there ever be. In fact, midi is not even sound. Midi is analogous to any other computer-based code. As logan stated, it must be run through a synth to even sound like anything. converting mp3 to midi...that would be the dream program for every music transcriber if it were possible!

-Tyler

Reaction score
You can actually get programs that do this, this for example. I don't think they are perfect and they are meant for professionals. I also don't think they would be very good with normal 'popular' music either.

I think the best thing to do is try and find pre-made midis, if the song/music is popular enough then someone is likely to have transcribed it already, you just need to find it on the net. Try googling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
A pitch recognition program is different then taking an mp3 and covnerting it to midi. effectively its very similar, but like you mentioned, it would not work with any kind of music with complex layers (i.e. any of today's popular music). just like midi cant be converted to mp3...it has to be played through a synth and then recorded. theres no program where you can plug mp3 into A and output B=midi...or the other way around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.