View the properties of an Icon on the Dashboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Setup favorite in OS X

Before he left, our Mac admin resigned, he set up a favorite that points to a folder on one of our Windows servers. (For some reason, we cannot use the Go feature in Finder. It always gives us error=36) Anyway, I need to access another folder on that server, so I would like to replicate what our former admin setup and modify it to point to the new folder.

nw_icon.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
What the admin did was set up an alias to that server. You can Command click that alias to show it a new Finder window if you need to relink it.

To set up a new alias, simply drag (from a Finder window) the folder/server you want to the dock. When you click this new icon it will take you to the contents of this server/folder.

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
surfwax95 said:
What the admin did was set up an alias to that server. You can Command click that alias to show it a new Finder window if you need to relink it.

To set up a new alias, simply drag (from a Finder window) the folder/server you want to the dock. When you click this new icon it will take you to the contents of this server/folder.

Thanks for the reply, but I am still stuck. Here is what happens, when I command-click on the shortcut, it opens the folder in a new window. When I view the path of the folder, it only show's my computer and the folder, nothing in between them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.