Mac Book Air wont connect

Reaction score
Hi...My daughters Mac Book Air wont connect to our WIFI..

We were having an issue a few weeks ago then i installed updates restarted machine and router and it worked again.

Now it wont connect again...Its something glithcy...

Any tips on how to diagnose and cure ?

Thanks in advance

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good evening and welcome.

Here is an Apple Document setting out how to investigate and solve WiFi issues on a Mac. It's a lengthy article starting from the basics and going from there in to advanced settings.

Give it a read and see if this helps you. And please post back. We are here to help.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202222

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fior starters, model, operating system, and what encryption is being used - WEP, WPA, WPA2 Personal?

Early MBA had a built in Airport Extreme Card, and later models USB or Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapters.

OP
R
Reaction score
Harry thanks for that,,,
Mode; Misd 2013 13inch wpa2 personal...
evrything indicates the machine is wifi connected but its not?
card type is airport extreme

'

OP
R
Reaction score
Something strange...my daughter now tells me that at some stage she received amessage saying wireless network has corrupted and i found a network name in wifi advanced log of a network close by that shows up when searching for networks... also wifi settings shows wifi connected but its not working...

OP
R
Reaction score
when i open safari i get messah====]]]]

When i open safari a message bottom left sais downloading proxy script then goes to resolving host..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the ISP have to say? Remember the fault is ALWAYS at your end and not theirs.

For mine problems with routers usually means they are failing. Three years from a router is a good run for me being on the old copper cable telephone wires which carry surges etc. I would suggest trying to set the router up again, both USB and wifi procedures.

OP
R
Reaction score
Harry Thanks again..
Could the router still be the problem when only 1 in 3 devices are effected ?

OP
R
Reaction score
The plot thickens...Tried connecting my daughters MBA to the gateway modum via ethernet to ethernet via thunderbolt adaptor and it crashes the router i.e it turns off...I tried my MBP no problem...Then i tried using my mums wireless dongle to connect daughters MBA and it requests a passw ord..My mum does not have a password and other devices connect ok...Its looking like the MBA is the issue ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are using Mom's dongle on your network, it is asking for your password, not Mom's. Remember how you set up your MBP with the URL to access the router's innards? You may need to do the same with daughter's MBA, including password for the network.

OP
R
Reaction score
Harry...I went to the Mac geniues bar and they reset the wifi and worked for a while then when using Chrome browser internet dropped out again...Now using ethernet connect direct to router and Safari and seems ok...Mac shop said if it keeps up i will need to do a fresh install

Reaction score
Hi...My daughters Mac Book Air wont connect to our WIFI..

We were having an issue a few weeks ago then i installed updates restarted machine and router and it worked again.

Now it wont connect again...Its something glithcy...

Any tips on how to diagnose and cure ?

Thanks in advance

I suggest that you contact your Internet Provider if connectivity problem stretches across multiple devices.

Reaction score
I've experienced this before with my iPad, can't connect to my friend's WiFi. did everything we could but can't still connect it. Then when I came back the other day it successfully connected. I don't know what's wrong, maybe the updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.