Playlist question

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do some creative playlists, but I'm not sure if what I want to do is feasable. I have three iPods. For each iPod I have a playlist which the iPods update themselves from. I want to create some specific playlists, for example one for blues tunes from the late 40s. No problem there. I can set the iPod I want to update from that playlist as well as it's main one. No problem there. Here is my question though: The songs that I want to put into the playlists for specific tunes are also in the main playlist, where the entire album exists. Now, if I create a specific playlist folder, and drag the tune from the Library, will that actually put a duplicate of the tune on the iPod? It's hard to believe that with a 60gb iPod I should worry about space, but I have a LOT of albums that will be going on there.
I want to keep the main playlist for the specific iPod as it is because I often like to just dial up the album and hear the whole thing, but I'd also like some playlists for individual genres from specific time periods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
roewert said:
I'm wanting to do some creative playlists, but I'm not sure if what I want to do is feasable. I have three iPods. For each iPod I have a playlist which the iPods update themselves from. I want to create some specific playlists, for example one for blues tunes from the late 40s. No problem there. I can set the iPod I want to update from that playlist as well as it's main one. No problem there. Here is my question though: The songs that I want to put into the playlists for specific tunes are also in the main playlist, where the entire album exists. Now, if I create a specific playlist folder, and drag the tune from the Library, will that actually put a duplicate of the tune on the iPod? It's hard to believe that with a 60gb iPod I should worry about space, but I have a LOT of albums that will be going on there.
I want to keep the main playlist for the specific iPod as it is because I often like to just dial up the album and hear the whole thing, but I'd also like some playlists for individual genres from specific time periods.

if i understand you right - it copies the song from your library and puts a copy on the ipod.

i think this is right

hope this helps

chris tm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.