Cannot add email account saved to iCloud

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is just plain annoying, maybe someone will have a suggestion.
I have a generic IMAP account in my email client on my MBP. The settings for all of my accounts are saved to iCloud.
I have added all of my accounts on my new iPhone by downloading the settings from iCloud.
They all work except one.
I have checked the settings on my MBP, they are identical but I keep getting an error on the iPhone.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
They all work except one.
I have checked the settings on my MBP, they are identical but I keep getting an error on the iPhone.
Any ideas?

Can you call Apple and see if they might have a solution???

Maybe they have a good iCloud guru who can help.

- Patrick
======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
'fraid not. International call from Bali.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod

When you say one of them is not working - in what sense? Can't send, can't receive, both?

And the error message says what?

Sorry for all the questions, but these things are very irksome and sometimes it's a minor tweak that's needed.

Most of us have experienced something similar. I feel for you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Try adding it again, and let Mail set it up automatically on the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try adding it again, and let Mail set it up automatically on the iPhone.

+1 .

Unfortunately Mail.app doesn't always Import one's older Mail email into mailboxes etc. as one might want if any old email is wanted or needed, unless it has improved doing so recently.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It has always imported all of my mail. I started using it with Tiger, around '07. Worked with POP using Hotmail, and IMAP with gmail.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It has always imported all of my mail.

Same here although I had to make sure that both my accounts were imported. IMAP accounts especially can be tricky because it may appear that mail has not been imported when in fact it may have already been read and disposed of. A POP account should show up though and include any mail that has not been removed from the server.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, bit of clarification here;
My email client is Airmail 3 app.
It saves all my account settings to iCloud.
When I setup this iPhone 7 I just choose the add accounts from iCloud backup option and each one was added as per the setup on my MBP.
Three of my 4 accounts were added without a hitch but the fourth, a generic IMAP account, although the settings are exactly the same gets a "check your settings" message every time.

Reaction score
I never saved the data in iCloud , first of all, i don't have any iTunes /iCloud on my phone ,
I prefer to backup contacts to computer by using the Facebook to transfer them ,

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jammerty, I dont think you quite get it. AirMail is an email client app on my iPhone the matching AirMail3 app on my macBook Pro has a preference setting which allows me to save account configurations to iCloud. When I set up my new phone I simply go to Add Account and I'm offered the option of downloading the email account settings rather than entering them via account name and password. This is great because it avoids the need to creat app specific passwords for the accounts that have 2 step verification like gMail but one account (which does not have two step verification) will not set up despite the settings being identical to the MBP settings. Anyway I have gotten around this by saving the URL of the web site as an icon to my iPhone home screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.