Upgrading Computer

Reaction score
Hey there

I don't fully understand how iTunes works.

I will be upgrading my iMac 2010 to a new 2017. My iTunes folder is stored on an external drive. So my plan is to use the same external drive and direct iTunes on my new computer to use that folder as its source.

My question is....is EVERY SINGLE thing in that folder going to reappear. Truth be told many of the things I have in there I have purchased through iTunes so I am not overly concerned if I lose them as I can just re-download them. That said I do have a fair number of family videos that I have created through both iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Having an Apple TV it just became a really easy way to show them. In some ways these are what are most precious to me. I created them by making the output source as iTunes. So I guess my question than is i don't know if formerly iMovie and now Final Cut Pro actually store that movie file outside of iTunes and iTunes searches and finds it when it needs it. Or if everything that is in iTunes, is actually in the iTunes folder.

Phew I hope that made sense. In short....when I hook up the new external drive to my new Mac. Than use that folder as my iTunes folder. Will my home videos be there?

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be OK doing that. The one thing I think you will also need to transfer is the folder that contains your iTunes library files. Those files are normally inside your user folder. In al folder called Music is an iTunes folder. Copy that folder and place it in the correct location on the new Mac. If you will be using Migration Assistant to move your files over I believe it will take care of that for you.

Edit: Although you can re-download previously purchased iTunes content it's good to have a current backup as well. The problem with re-downloading content is that some of it may no longer still be available. If, for some reason, the iTunes Store has lost the rights to sell some of the content you've purchased it will no longer be there for download.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.