• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony DCR-PC5 camcorder - trying to import miniDV to mac (v10.12)

Reaction score
I have the proper firewire cable that connects my Sony DCR-PC5. On my camcorder, when I connect the firewire from my camcorder to my mac (10.12), my camcorder screen reads "DV IN"

But, when I open iMovie my camera isn't recognized (after looking online, doesn't look like my camcorder is supported by iMovie).
Is there any video editing software that will recognize my camera on my mac computer?

I have a lot of old miniDV tapes that I want to import to my mac, so I can save/export to my harddrive as a digital file.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the camera powered on? Also, is the switch on the camera set to tv/vcr? What Mac are you using? And what version of iMovie are you using?

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes, I had the camera on VCR mode, plugged camera to AC (vs using battery).
I have Mac-Sierra (10.12.1), and iMovie 10.1.6.

My camcorder is Sony DCR-PC5, which I did not see on the iMove compatibility list: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202

So I guess my question is, do you know any other editing software that would be compatibly with my camera on a mac?
Or - is there some converter I could purchase that would be compatible?
Or - would I need to purchase a new camcorder that is compatible, so I can just run the mini-dv and import?

For reference, this the firewire cable I have, my camcorder using the mini-side: IEEE 1394b Firewire 800 Cable 9 pin - 4 pin M / M
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LEY2PW/?tag=macforums0e4-20

All I'm trying to do is import my mini-dvs to digital files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe Apple is only listing modern Video Cameras, that will work with iMovie, but I could be wrong. I believe it will work with Sierra. You may have to try different things to get it to be seen by your Mac. May want to try an SMC reset. For instance;

1 - with the camera off and the FW cable plugged in to the camera, plug the FW cable into the Mac, then turn the camera on.
2 - with the camera off and the FW cable plugged in to the Mac, plug the FW cable into the camera, then turn the camera on.
3 - with the camera on and the FW cable plugged in to the camera, plug the FW cable into the Mac.
4 - with the camera on and the FW cable plugged in to the Mac, plug the FW cable into the camera.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I took a quick look at what I think is the manual for that camera earlier tonight. It wasn't really clear about a few things but it looks like that Firewire port is both input and output. Look through the switches/settings to see if there is something that shifts that port from input to output. It's going to have to be in output mode to send a signal to the Mac.

OP
W
Reaction score
Slydude, hmm I have the camcorder's manual with me.
I went into the settings to alter "A/V -> Out" to "ON"

But, when I have the firewire plugged into my camcorder/mac - the camcorder screen still reads "DV IN" (not sure if it's supposed to read DV OUT?")

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude, hmm I have the camcorder's manual with me.
I went into the settings to alter "A/V -> Out" to "ON"

But, when I have the firewire plugged into my camcorder/mac - the camcorder screen still reads "DV IN" (not sure if it's supposed to read DV OUT?")
That manual appears a bit confusing to me. I'll have to do a bit more digging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that camera is not capable doing what you want. If you look in the table of contents, there is no option to output the videos. I believe the camera only imports, which is why it shows DV IN. To output your videos, you need to use the other connector, with the one plug for the camera, and the red, white, and yellow, on the other end. Connected to something like these, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Video-Capture-Devices/ci/14774/N/3545908106, composite video devices.

OP
W
Reaction score
I think that camera is not capable doing what you want. If you look in the table of contents, there is no option to output the videos. I believe the camera only imports, which is why it shows DV IN. To output your videos, you need to use the other connector, with the one plug for the camera, and the red, white, and yellow, on the other end. Connected to something like these, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Video-Capture-Devices/ci/14774/N/3545908106, composite video devices.

Hmmm that's a potential bummer.
I'm going to take my camcorder and laptop into a store this weekend to see if someone can physically take a look and go over. I was thinking the Apple Genius Bar - but don't think that would be the best option since I assume the issue isn't coming from the Mac

I'm going to try a Fry's Electronics (vs say Best Buy) - though if you have any recommendations of type of shops I'm more than happy to hear!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm that's a potential bummer.
I'm going to take my camcorder and laptop into a store this weekend to see if someone can physically take a look and go over.
Before you do that try the following:
1. I downloaded the manual from here. Having the whole thing in one shot makes things a tad less confusing.
2. Then have a look at page 71. This explains the physical connections between the camera and computer. Page 89 describes the menu setting changes that need to be made.

It's possible that this type of transfer will result in a file that has to be converted to a different format before it can be converted into something that iMovie can read / use. I'm still investigating what type of file is used / saved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good find Sly, I missed it. Although, it looks like the A/V cable needs to be used along with the iLink cable.

Now as far as the software you need, iLife '06 or '08, should work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good find Sly, I missed it. Although, it looks like the A/V cable needs to be used along with the iLink cable.
I didn't notice that. I'll have to take a look at that.

Unless I overlooked it I didn't't see a direct description of what format the camera sends video in if you try to use the DV format. I would think that if the iLife software could see it iMovie probably could as well.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks on the note regarding the AV wire. Think you guys are right - I called up Fry's and they noted I might need one of those converters to firewire or HDMI (which I have a thunderbolt to HDMI converter already)

Seems like I might just need more and more converters. But, gonna stop at Frys this weekend have have a physical look to see what wires I would need.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sony's website has these general directions for using mini DV based camcorders with iMovie. Given the connections on the camera I wouldn't bother with Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters because that's not what the camera uses. There is a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter available and Firewire 800 to 4 pin firewire cable. That should be all that you need. If that does not work something else is at player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Not withstanding all of the above, if I had a £/$ for all the topics on trying to connect a Sony camcorder to a Mac, I'd be a rich man. :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.