iMac 9.2.2 Startup Trouble - HELP!!!

M

mayorofvilas

I performed a clean install of OS 9.2.2 on my iMac 266 MHz. It ran fine for a few hours, but now it will not boot up at all. I get the musical tone when I power up, but the screen remains black and nothing else happens. I hear the hard drive access for a brief period, and then nothing. Is this a hardware or a software problem? How can I fix this problem? I am at a loss!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated...

OP
L

lzasitko

no video

mayorofvilas said:
I performed a clean install of OS 9.2.2 on my iMac 266 MHz. It ran fine for a few hours, but now it will not boot up at all. I get the musical tone when I power up, but the screen remains black and nothing else happens. I hear the hard drive access for a brief period, and then nothing. Is this a hardware or a software problem? How can I fix this problem? I am at a loss!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Have you updated the system software?

I had similar problem on my 1Mac 366 when I installed OSX. On the final reboot I had no video, but it seemed to be doing something (hdd activity). I tried everything and in the end gave up in frustration and went and had coffee to calm down :) Anyways around a half hour later I went back and it was in sleep mode, the minute I touched the mouse it came up with the desktop screen. I checked preferences and it did not have the correct monitor selected, so I set it to the right one. Since then no problems. You can let it run for 5 minutes or so after you boot it and press the power key, this will force it into sleep mode, then click the mouse and see if it works right.

Larry Zasitko

OP
M

mayorofvilas

lzasitko said:
Have you updated the system software?

I had similar problem on my 1Mac 366 when I installed OSX. On the final reboot I had no video, but it seemed to be doing something (hdd activity). I tried everything and in the end gave up in frustration and went and had coffee to calm down :) Anyways around a half hour later I went back and it was in sleep mode, the minute I touched the mouse it came up with the desktop screen. I checked preferences and it did not have the correct monitor selected, so I set it to the right one. Since then no problems. You can let it run for 5 minutes or so after you boot it and press the power key, this will force it into sleep mode, then click the mouse and see if it works right.

Larry Zasitko

Thanks for your response, Larry. I hear HDD activity for a few seconds, and then it stops. I tried to boot up, left for work, came back 3 hours later and tried to revive it by messing with the mouse, but it was in the same state. Nothing. Any other suggestions?

Peter Rhyne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Zap the PRAM …
Start while holding Command + Option + P + R. Release after the third chime.

If still nothing I would then check the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.