White screen on startup

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so hope I'm posting in the right place!

My macbook (late 2011 MBP 15" with SSD) developed an issue recently where on startup it would freeze, at the point of entering my iCloud password but before entering my actual computer user password. On the white screen with the loading bar (bar not swirly thing) it would hang before completing loading.

Restarting would sometimes fix this, but after a week or so this no longer works, so now I can't turn my computer on. I've tried starting in safe mode/recovery mode/repairing my disk/general suggestions from various forums but not of that works.

I have a recent backup of my data so that isn't an issue, I was just wondering if this sounds like it could be an SSD failure? I'm happy to buy another, just wanted to check with you guys whether that might actually solve the problem before spending the cash!

Thanks in advance :)
Craig

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Your Macbook may be suffering from a failing or failed gpu.

I also have a 15" late 2011 with a failed radeon gpu. It wouldn start to load the os, get about halfway through the progress bar and freeze with the Apple logo and progress bar on the screen. When I try to install Sierra from a usb drive, the progress bar gets to about 75% and everything disappears and I'm left with a black white screen.

There was an apple repair program for these Macbooks but it ended on December 31, 2016.

OP
C
Reaction score
So sorry for the hideously late reply, I really appreciate the help and didn't mean to be rude. I missed the email notification for this and forgot I'd asked on this forum.

Is the GPU possible/costly to replace? Is there some sort of diagnosis that my local Apple store can do to determine if that is the issue? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Yes, it is possible to replace the gpu chip. There are two major hurdles: finding an updated revision of the gpu chip and finding a repair shop that is able to remove the old chip and solder in a new chip.

I had it done on my late-2011 that had a failed amd 6770m chip. It was pricey but worth it since I bought the Macbook in non-working condition.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I'll see if I can get it diagnosed and then if anybody could replace the chip. I don't have more than £150 to spend though which is probably unrealistic!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.