How to edit the names of Bluetooth devices.

Reaction score
For the sake of easy identification, is there a way to modify the names of bluetooth devices as they appear in the connected bluetooth device list?

For example, i'd like to rename my bluetooth mouse, bluetooth mouse... it appears in the menu as d8-34-23-76-12-56.
I'd like to rename my bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth keyboard... not c3-67-23-76-98-12.
And so it goes for several different devices I own. The names are so illogical that connecting to the right device is a process of elimination.

But it has to be possible to rename devices because I have a UE Wonderboom speaker... it connects as "Wonderboom"... seems pretty logical, huh?

I'm using El Capitan, 10.11.6. I've looked up Google, Youtube, for a solution, but the troubleshoots are all out of date. And i'm not seeing any modifiable device settings in the bluetooth menu.

Any tips?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

This is actually quite straightforward, but not at all intuitive.

Go into Bluetooth (BT) Preferences by opening System Preferences > BT.

Now identify your BT device, then Right Click on it. From the Dropdown menu, choose "Rename". (The other options are Disconnect and Remove).

NB: The Right Click option requires that the Device is already paired. This will not work on BT Devices currently not paired.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Using my bluetooth mouse right now. The only right-click option I have at the System Preferences > BT menu screen is 'pair'... but the mouse is already paired. The bluetooth address is listed below the 'pair' option, but it is greyed out. 'Disconnect'' or 'remove' options are not visible.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Maybe it's because you are running El Capitan???

This is what I get - System Preferences > Bluetooth > Right Click on paired Mouse.

S1.jpg

And I've found this Apple Support article which merely repeats what I posted: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205348

Sorry I 've not been much help.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry I 've not been much help.

Ian

Thank you for trying to help. What more can I ask :)

Yes... strange... at that same GUI i'm not getting those menu options.

Perhaps it is an El Capitan thing. I'd love to update to the latest version of OSX, but I typically run a few versions behind so not to trip up any third party software.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Perhaps it is an El Capitan thing. I'd love to update to the latest version of OSX, but I typically run a few versions behind so not to trip up any third party software.
You should be able to follow Ian's directions even with El Capitan. I just tested it with my MacBook Pro that's still on El Capitan and you should get the rename option by right clicking.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just thought i'd update this. Still having the renaming problem with this device. But i've since discovered the inability to rename is unique to this one particular device (a Microsoft 1850 wireless mouse). All other devices have the connect/rename/remove options.

MS 1850.jpg

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the update. Kinda glad to know we weren't imagining things. :Mischievous:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Interesting, thanks to this post I thought I would change the name of my Bose Bluetooth headphones from the generic numbers and letters combination but even after pairing and connecting the name change will not stick. I type the new name, click Rename at the bottom of the dialogue box but the name remains unchanged. I am running Sierra 10.12.6.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Che_

In your post #8, I notice that both your pictures show the appliances as not connected.

Have you tried pairing/connecting them first and then see if the Right Click option works?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Right Click options only work for paired items, certainly in my case.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Che_

In your post #8, I notice that both your pictures show the appliances as not connected.

Have you tried pairing/connecting them first and then see if the Right Click option works?
Ian

Yeah, I had tried that. No dice.

That screenshot was taken in arrears - once I had worked out what was going on. I also deleted all my devices to see if I could reset the problem, but again, no dice.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm thinking that some things can't be renamed despite the apparent option. I have tried removing my headphones and changing the name during the pairing process but it stubbornly remains CW-139.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C'est la vie.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm thinking that some things can't be renamed despite the apparent option. I have tried removing my headphones and changing the name during the pairing process but it stubbornly remains CW-139.

It would take some searching and some trials (and a good current working backup) but I'd bet there's a related file with the unwanted name using EasyFind.app that could possibly be changed to include/replace with something more fitting with a text editor.

Proceed at your own risk… :D

PS: Does the renaming not work and stick due to SIP poking it's nose into and preventing the change. Maybe disable it for a bit and see if the name change sticks.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might give that a try Patrick, it's really not an issue for me as I only have a couple of BlueTooth devices. Just puzzled when it seems like it should work. If for example I was unable to enter a new name or the option was not available but it does everything except change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have a feeling it has to do with the manufacturer and the abilities they program in to their devices. I had a portable bluetooth keyboard, that had a name that couldn't be changed also. Then I got my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse, and the ability was there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a feeling it has to do with the manufacturer and the abilities they program in to their devices. I had a portable bluetooth keyboard, that had a name that couldn't be changed also. Then I got my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse, and the ability was there.

And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Apple hasn't programmed any name-change to be blocked except for their own devices. They can do things like that it seems. :Evil:

But there's often a way around things but it's getting harder with their recent OSs.

PS: Anyone recall or used ResEdit years ago???

Now one has to be a Terminal guru or smart programmer it seems.

PPS: I just spent part of this last weekend getting our new Canon PIXMA MX922 printer icon to display as something closer to what it looked like rather than the stupid one that the installer used. And I'm sure not a programmer.
Now we have a cool shiny black miniture icon of the real thing in our iMac Docks. Not some insipid grey generic image.

Here's a copy if anyone want's to or can use it: (I had to add the .jpg to allow uploading)

Doesn't work for some reason and no cross-out option for the text line above, just underline. Sorry!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Apple hasn't programmed any name-change to be blocked except for their own devices. They can do things like that it seems.
Patrick, your paranoia is over-worked here. I have several non-Apple BT devices and all of them allow renaming. So Apple isn't blocking the naming, nor is SIP. I suspect it is in the device itself that the ability, or lack thereof, exists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, your paranoia is over-worked here

Thanks for the info Jake and no paranoia here, but it seemed that something was being blocked somehow from some member's comments.

I don't own a single BT device and it does seem odd that some can and some can't be renamed and how could a BT device prevent it from being renamed for what appears to be an OS controlled thing???

You got any ideas as to why or why not???

I'm just curious… :eek:

EDIT:
PS: Is this a new problem that's come with Sierra or did the BT device renaming not always work with previous versions??

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.