Confused with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 update...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I've updated the MacBook Air, from early 2015, to the version 10.12.6. It seemingly went well as usual, downloaded the update and restarted the MBA. The system updated and once logged in, I opened the "About this Mac" to verify. The overview shows this:

this_mac.png

Just to be on the safe side, click on "Software Update" to make sure that there is no other update left. The update window shows this:

software update.png

Confused is an understatement... The 10.12.6 version is an available update and the same version had been installed as well. Thinking that maybe some of the updates did not install, click on the 'Update" again. The result is like the first time, download the update, reboot and update the system. Once logged in, the end result is also the same as shown in the second picture; version 10.12.6 is available for updating.

Questions...

Was the update actually applied for this MBA?

If it was, how to make macOS understand that the version 10.12.6 had been installed already?

TIA...

PS: I've updated three MacBook Pros with the same version, where the prior version was the same as on the MBA. They did not have this issue....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook Air was updated to 10.12.6 as the "About this Mac" shows. Anyway, if the Mac App Store continues to show the update as available, it has to be an error since your MacBook Air was already updated to 10.12.6. Try doing a PRAM reset to see if that resolves it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The only other thing(s) I might have done are:

1. Reboot the Mac - you've likely done that already.

2. Sign out of the App Store (Click on App Store to open. From top menu bar, select "Store" and, from drop down, choose "Sign Out". Then Sign In again by using the same process.

Then check "About This Mac". Should be solved.

Ian

M

MacInWin

And is it possible you have a bootable clone of the internal drive attached? The store may have seen the older version of the OS on that drive if you did. It's a bit of a stretch, but I know that if I have older versions of applications on backups I'll get that same phenomenon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try doing a PRAM reset to see if that resolves it.
How would a PRAM reset resolve an App Store error?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How would a PRAM reset resolve an App Store error?

The error may not be with the App Store and could be with the OP's Mac. A PRAM reset is worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You could download the macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update and run and install it, and then try running the Software Update again and it might update itself.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_CA

- Patrick
======

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for your suggestions and yes, the MacBook had been rebooted and even shutdown numerous time that did not resolve the issue. And no, there's no internal, bootable clone attached...

I won't have access to my client's MackBook Air until next Tuesday. My preferred order of resolving this issue is:

1. Sign out of Apps Store, reboot and sign in
  2. Download and install macOS 10.12.6 combo
  3. Reset PRAM/NVRAM*
*-Optional

The client is in the process of getting a new MacBook Pro in couple of weeks and if she does... As long this issue does not cause any problems, which it did not so far, I'll need to prepare the MacBook Air for sale anyway. That'll resolve this issue for the new owner.

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not have access to the MacBook last week, but I am looking at it now.

The same update installed/available has disappeared on its own. I guess, this one had been a temporary bug that resolved itself; to my knowledge, the customer did not try installing the update.

Thank you all for your guidance and help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.