About Disabling The USB Ports

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's me again with another topic. This time it's not urgent as the last time since i thought my co-workers screw it up on what they did. Anyway, once again i needed some advice or tips.

My boss has IMacs and for safety measures he doesn't want anybody to put an USB into the ports, meaning he wants them disabled. My co-workers search the web on how to do it and it has something to do with IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext and IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext and it involves removing them completely. So i asked them how safe is that and best of all, how efficient that would be? So, again like last time, they don't know and wanted to do it, but i can't trust them after the last thing they did.

So, i wanted to ask you guys since last time your advice and help really went well i just wanted to know: Is this a good method? or do any of you know another way to do it?

Thank you once again in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Messing around with KEXT files which are part of the OS is NEVER a good idea. While removing the files might disable the ports, who knows what other issues it causes. This is not a topic that is discussed often as seldom do people need to do this.

OP
Chepemaru
Reaction score
I kinda expected that would happen with the OS, that is why i stopped my men. Well, any other advice on how to address this matter?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What sort of environment is this? Do these machine belong to workers? Are they common machines used by many? A physical restraint to prevent access to the USB ports might be your best/reliable bet..

OP
Chepemaru
Reaction score
The place is mostly where secretaries work, those machines belong to the boss and not the workers. Right now they have two Users (Admin and Worker), so mostly some applications are disabled on the Worker user and only the Admin has access to them and can do those changes. Because of safety measures of not stealing any information, the boss of the place wants to disable the usb ports so that the workers don't put their usbs to copy stuff or in some cases some have music files or photos that the workplace doesn't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Errrr…I don't want to be the bearer of any bad news, but using any USB port or device is only one way of transferring data. :Blushing:

How is any file sharing being addressed or prevented???

But to read some methods to disable the USP ports and to save time duplicating the already existing info here, try a search such as; 'Mac Disable The USB Ports' like this and read some of the hits:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=aKx6WcuuFNTM8gf286H4CA

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.