Anyone heard of the malware FruitFly ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.12.4. plus an older mac
A link was sent to me describing a malware named FruitFly. For some reason it seems like a
hoax. I did a search and no matches.

Perhaps I should not have opened the link. The lead is "Mac-malware-spying-on-computers." The website is named LocalSYR

I would be happy to post the link here but not until administrator says it's OK to do so.

Any thoughts on this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read this LINK. (Old variant.)

And please do not post a link. We will let anyone who wants more info about FruitFly malware do their own research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Somebody posted a link in a different forum I visit. I read it, but I always have a hard time believing stories like those. I haven't seen anything that I have had to worry about, that I know of anyway.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-analysis-fruitfly-mac-malwware-almost-undetectable-backdoor/
Alright, I am putting on my tinfoil hat for this one....:Smirk:

Quote from the referenced link:

Given how rare Mac malware is, especially one with all the hallmarks of what could be a nation state attacker, Patrick Wardle, a former NSA hacker who now serves as chief security researcher at ‎Synack, got to work.
The keywords are, nation state, former NSA hacker, security researcher. With the tinfoil hat firmly in place, is this a coincidence? Without the hat, it's purely coincidence...;DO:)

Reaction score
Interesting how it is coming back right now. I know FruitFly was a thing a couple of years ago, where a person infected computers to observe, later he reported the findings and the ability to the police, which was kind of him. Malwarebytes should detect every variation of it known to date, I am certain of that. So if it really is it, you could try a scan and see what comes up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.