Need recommendations for an ibook no greater than $1000

N

NewT

Hello all, I am looking into getting an ibook, used or new, and all I have to spend is $1000. I would like a machine that runs OS X very nicely (i.e. its snappy, smooth, etc) and runs applications like office and photoshop. It would be nice if it could play games like Quake 3 and Enemy Territory, however, I do not want it to play today's latest games.

I have looked at some mac web sites and it seems like I can get an ibook that is an 800mhz g4 for around $800, however, it only has 128 megs of ram and a simple cdrom drive. I am leaning towards ebay, because it seems to offer good prices for ibooks. Specifically, I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776355333&category=4602 . Is this a good value for $900? Its 900mhz g3, 384mg ram, 40 gig, and a combo drive.

I'm really not sure what is good in mac terms. Would I be getting ripped off for $900? Can you show me a better deal? How is that link above?

Also, should I be considering a g4 or will a g3 suffice?

Thank you for your time. Hopefully, you will have another mac user shortly :)

OP
L

lzasitko

g3 iBook

NewT said:
Hello all, I am looking into getting an ibook, used or new, and all I have to spend is $1000. I would like a machine that runs OS X very nicely (i.e. its snappy, smooth, etc) and runs applications like office and photoshop. It would be nice if it could play games like Quake 3 and Enemy Territory, however, I do not want it to play today's latest games.

I have looked at some mac web sites and it seems like I can get an ibook that is an 800mhz g4 for around $800, however, it only has 128 megs of ram and a simple cdrom drive. I am leaning towards ebay, because it seems to offer good prices for ibooks. Specifically, I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776355333&category=4602 . Is this a good value for $900? Its 900mhz g3, 384mg ram, 40 gig, and a combo drive.

I'm really not sure what is good in mac terms. Would I be getting ripped off for $900? Can you show me a better deal? How is that link above?

Also, should I be considering a g4 or will a g3 suffice?

Thank you for your time. Hopefully, you will have another mac user shortly :)

Price seems decent and would meet your needs pretty well, at least the real apps, I do not have games on mine sodon't know about them. Check warrenties, these are transferable, max out the ram if possible. The super drive would also be nice. I have a clamshell iBook 366mhz with 576meg of ram (I know all the manuals and info say max is 328 or something, but I found the local dealer that was willing to try the 512meg card. I have OSX latest revision and 9.2 installed and it runs great. I have no problems running Photoshop and Office for OSX, Appleworks and Quickbooks so a 900 would be a good deal faster than mine.

Watch ebay as I see these all the time and you might find it cheaper, depends on when or how soon you want it.

Larry Zasitko

OP
L

lplplpx3

You might need to jump on this one but I just purchased a BRAND NEW (not refurb or used) 14" G3 800 Ghz, 256 k, 30 gig HD, Combo drive and get this INCLUDES AIRPORT CARD for $920 from http://www.powermax.com/. With 2 day express my total was $973.00 delivered.

Also, for 20 bucks less you get the exact same specs but a 700 Ghz machine...needless to say I dont think they had much left and I too was doing the whole ebay, used, refurb thing for weeks but this was the best deal I found anywhere.

OP
H

Hooligan

Are you a student? My brand new ibook G4 was $950 at the student rate. Otherwise, Apple Stores will sell returned and refurbished models at a discount too- many are former window display models (never used). Just a thought....

OP
L

lplplpx3

No not a student and consequently, this price even beat Apple refurb...trust me I did my homework.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I have a 14" iBook G4 1.42 ghz super drive with 2 years of apple care left! PM me if your interested in buying. Want to get an imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
MacMania55 said:
I have a 14" iBook G4 1.42 ghz super drive with 2 years of apple care left! PM me if your interested in buying. Want to get an imac.
dont be surprised if you dont get that pm, this thread is over 2 years old and the original poster is no longer a member

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
thank you for posting in a two year old thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.