Why cant I install the latest Mac OS?

Reaction score
I got a new MBP last week. I did migration assistant to install everything from my old computer. I see the operating system is 10.12.3.

Curiously, the Softwware Update doesnt say there is now 10.12.5 but I downloaded it from Apple's website anyway. I tried to install it but I can't get past the Select a Destination page where it tells me my volume doesn't meet the requirements for it.

Any thoughts? I have over 50GB's free. I dont know why it would be saying this.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good evening, oxband

I'm a little confused because if your MacBook Pro was brand new and you got it within the last week or two, it would have Sierra 10.12.5 pre-installed.

The update to 10.12.6 is very recent.

I bought my wife a new MacBook Pro about four weeks ago and 10.12.5 was the version with which it shipped.

So, when you used Migration Assistant to restore data, what was your source? Time Machine is a cloned backup?

I'm just wondering if you replaced the shipped OS with your previous OS.

There is no way your new Mac doesn't meet the requirements.

May I ask you to give us more detail about your previous Mac, the migration process and details about your new Mac, particularly in respect of storage - how only 50 GB free?

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not 100% certain but I believe a Time Machine migration will not overwrite newer system files. I have migrated three times using Time Machine from an older version of OS X to a newer machine with a newer version of OS X and have never had a problem.

But I do agree with Ian that your MBP (if it was indeed new) should have had the latest version of macOS already installed. I suppose it's possible if you purchased the machine from other than Apple that it came with an older version installed.

OP
O
Reaction score
It must have come installed but I probably installed the old OS with the Migration Assistant. I just did a clean install of 10.12.6!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you have gotten it working OK. I still don't think a Time Machine migration will overwrite newer system files, however, without really knowing what went on, we can only guess. All is well that ends well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.