Image left on screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 in. OS X 10.9.1, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
I get this image on my screen after using some apps and safari how do I clear it?

Crap screen1.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try rebooting the system. That should clear things up at least temporarily. How often is this happening?

Others may chime in with alternatives but this looks like a graphics card issue. We might be looking at a graphic card failure.

OP
uncle808us
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the reply.
Only occasionally It does clear up but I'm not sure what I did to clear it.
I don't want to re-boot if I can help it, like I said it does go away after I close a software or something.
Next time I will try to remember what I did that made it clear, but it wasn't re-boot.
Try rebooting the system. That should clear things up at least temporarily. How often is this happening?

Others may chime in with alternatives but this looks like a graphics card issue. We might be looking at a graphic card failure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Rebooting is no big deal. Why the reluctance?

OP
uncle808us
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cause it takes a while on my older mac.... or I'd rather not reboot if there is another way

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is the artifact constrained to just the Safari window? Does closing the window and reopening it fix it? Also, what happens if you move the window around, does it refresh? If this sort of thing was happening on your entire screen, it might be indicative of a GPU failure..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that if you open a window (any window)...grab the window by the title bar...and move that window around the display over all the "funky" image...it should disappear.

As to the cause. If it's not a hardware issue (software issue)...my guess would be that there's some sort of:

- App to OS conflict/confusion.
- App to app conflict/confusion (2 apps not "playing nice" with each other).
- Computer needs some maintenance (run the free maintenance app called "Onyx").

I would also mention that occasionally rebooting the computer can be helpful. I know you mentioned not liking to reboot the computer because it takes some time. But if this reboot is done when you will be busy with non-computer things...then no biggie.:) I would say once/week...maybe once every 2 weeks...and see if this helps. Many folks go longer than this. But since you are having an issue...maybe doing this will help.:)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Cause it takes a while on my older mac.... or I'd rather not reboot if there is another way

Please accept that I mean no offence, but rebooting a Mac should be done every few weeks, just to ensure that "scruff" is removed, caches are cleared and so on.

It is the first thing we nearly always advise when there is a problem, before embarking on more detailed and complicated procedures.

I really think you you consider doing this - however long it takes.

Rebooting is standard procedure.

Again, no offence.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think that if you open a window (any window)...grab the window by the title bar...and move that window around the display over all the "funky" image...it should disappear.

+1, or resize the window and maybe even to full screen or close to it. ;)

- Patrick
======

OP
uncle808us
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pm-r
I will try this next time it occurs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.