• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sugestion to the powers that be,...for noob thinning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
How about forcing new account holders to search the forums when they submit a new post. It's quite a cluster when the same questions are asked over and over again. I use this forum more for helping than anything else and it's aggrivating to see the same thing over and over.

Thoughts,...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't know if the forum software will do that. They could perhaps make it so that new users were restricts in posting and posts required Staff review and approval before going public. That would allow them to point n00bs to the search feature but would be VERY staff intensive in a forum of this size and would require dedicated staff attention round the clock more or less. The alternative is that members point the n00bs in the right direction, as is currently done, and be patient to those who are new or less experienced, we were all a "n00b" once.

BTW, this should probably have gone in the feedback forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
We were all noobs at some point or another. Given some people tend to be better at using the search function than others, it is something you are just going to have to live with. On other forums, I can't stand the attitude by senior members towards noobs. If their posts bother you, just don't read them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
well, I was thinking about making a good thread for all noobs to start, and I actually did....and then BOOM kernal panic, first one in monthes...anyone want to help me compile a list of gerneral questions and links?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
macAttack said:
well, I was thinking about making a good thread for all noobs to start, and I actually did....and then BOOM kernal panic, first one in monthes...anyone want to help me compile a list of gerneral questions and links?
Well, there already are threads like that here. n00bs are gonna post their questions regardless of how many "easy answer" threads or search buttons are on the forum. Stickies and "how to" threads are virtually pointless as very few people actually take the time to read them.

Such is the life of being a forum member on the internet.

I will admit, it is tiresome to see the same questions asked ad naseum, but then again, if its something that has been posted again and again... I just don't reply to them. If I bother to post anything in a thread like that, its a simple link to the search page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
there are also forum noobs who dont know about search features and how annoying it is for us to read and then post in each thread teh same thing over and over....

also there was an animated gif on an old forum i used to be on which was a picture of the main forum page, a mouse moving towards to search function, opening the search function and then typing in USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION in the search box....it was quite hilarious if someone wants to get on that....i have no clue how to do an animated gif
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
what annoys me more than the same questions over and over again is the threads with vague titles such as "Noob questions" or "Switcher needs help". im more motivated to read/respond to a thread if i have an idea of what its about. this would also help those who actually do use the search. When i search for something, all i get is a list of threads with the same "noob needs help" title, the last thing i want to do is search through 50 threads just to find one that actually has to do with what i am searching when all i should have to look at is the title

not to mention i think the Similar Threads thing at the bottom of most threads goes off of title, not content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
So when do I officially lose noob status? :) lol, but seriously, some of us "noobs" do use the search function, and some (like me) do know a thing or two already and are not just joining to look for help. I joined to get answers, but even more so to help others and learn.

Restricting posting for noobs would just make a big hassle for us. Maybe there could be an official "noob thread" or "noob section"? There may be just as many similar posts, but it would help contain them all at least... just an idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Whoa.. to much usage of the word "noob".. so ill be refering to it as N
I believe you lose the N status when you know enough about the mac and the basics on things. play around with it, don't go for every detail and ask if its possible (unless your desperate and want it confirmed it can/'t be done.

As for restricting, i dont think it would be restricted.

I said a suggestion on the irc chat (but no one cared.. or listened...) that new members should have their posts forwarded to a super stripped (of power) trusted member (meaning, helps constantly, is helpful, has been here awhile, willing to give their time) who will read the topic post then decide if it should go through, or decline it for a certain reason like, "This has already been discussed. -Link To topic- . Please use the search function in the future before attempting to post." Or change the topic title to something appropriate (Ex, "Help, Noob on fire" to "Can't figure how to network"). etc. etc. etc.
This would clear up some usual threads.

OP
MacsWork
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
D3v1L80Y said:
I just don't reply to them. If I bother to post anything in a thread like that, its a simple link to the search page.

That could be it,....!!!

Perhaps a query for content and a "this helped others" link of some sort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
MacsWork said:
How about forcing new account holders to search the forums when they submit a new post. It's quite a cluster when the same questions are asked over and over again. I use this forum more for helping than anything else and it's aggrivating to see the same thing over and over.

Thoughts,...

Speaking of threads that have been started before...

Its really impossible to avoid this. We live in a live board where the same questions need to be answered and there is really nothing we can do about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.