Third party refurbished Macbooks. What to be aware of?

Reaction score
Hi folks and I hope I can post this here.

I'm looking at buying a refurbished 2015 edition Macbook Pro because I'm not interested in spending more for fewer ports and a gimmicky touchbar.

Apple is no longer selling 2015 macbook pros in its refurb store, and the only way I can get refurbished upgraded ones seem to be third parties.

How do these third parties turn a profit on 2015 machines with low battery cycles and extended applecare warranty? When I asked for the origin of the machine, the guy said "I buy and sell them". I mean he can't be buying that for cheap. Not sure what to expect really.

Also, one who is not a refurbisher is selling a very lightly used Macbook pro that he bought in the US apple store, he says the HDD was replaced under warranty, 6 battery cycles, not sure whether an US macbook is a bad move for me being in the UK. I know the keyboard is different... anything else? I assume the warranty is international because it's portable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
There's a 2015 MBP on the UK refurbished list now. https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

My first MBP was a US model: keyboard was slightly different but otherwise worked the same. Genuine Apple guarantees are recognised worldwide.

You've raised doubts yourself about resellers so if you go down that route make sure you buy with a credit card (issuer is jointly liable for quality of goods) or PayPal so you have independent protection if anything goes wrong. I'd be inclined to ask for a trial period with the machine.

M

MacInWin

Apple will sell what it has refurbished. If there are no 2015's in today, then you obviously cannot buy one. But if one is refurbished tomorrow, it will show up. You have to check the refurb site often to catch them while they appear.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm looking at buying a refurbished 2015 edition Macbook Pro because I'm not interested in spending more for fewer ports and a gimmicky touchbar.

Apple is no longer selling 2015 macbook pros in its refurb store, and the only way I can get refurbished upgraded ones seem to be third parties.

There's at least one refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro model on the US Apple store site. And member badshoehabit found one on the Apple UK site. Refurbished inventory can change quickly (hourly or daily)...since there may not be many available (may only be one).

FYI...there are 2016 13" MacBook Pro models without the "gimmicky rouchbar"!;) But if you're looking for a 15" MacBook Pro...then yes...all 2016 models have a touchbar.

How do these third parties turn a profit on 2015 machines with low battery cycles and extended applecare warranty? When I asked for the origin of the machine, the guy said "I buy and sell them". I mean he can't be buying that for cheap.

Sure he can. "Buy low...sell high." He certainly isn't losing money selling these computers. Otherwise he'd be out of business VERY quickly!

Also, one who is not a refurbisher is selling a very lightly used Macbook pro that he bought in the US apple store, he says the HDD was replaced under warranty...

Not possible. MacBook Pro's haven't had a hard disk drive's in years.

But this really isn't important. Purchase a refurbished computer from Apple. And you get a full 12 months of warranty (just like new computers)...with the option to purchase the extended 3 year warranty.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
As another poster in here mentioned the other day, Apple is selling a new 15" model without the touchbar. Looks like the 2015 model with all the ports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.