iPhone to iPad audio transfer (without internet)

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can help me solve a little riddle!

I work as a radio journalist and enjoyed editing audio on the iPad Pro at my previous place of work. I would love to be able to go into the field and record and edit audio on just the iPad.

The problem I'm having is that if I record audio onto an SD card, I can't transfer this to the iPad without putting it through a laptop. I believe you can transfer photos and video through a reader, but not audio (I guess it's a music piracy thing)?

So now I'm thinking: what if I use an iPhone as my main recording device, with something like a Rode iXY microphone to gather quality audio and then I can transfer it to the iPad? However, I often report from overseas where there isn't reliable internet, so transferring from iPhone to Dropbox to the iPad isn't a great option.

So here's my question: Can I transfer audio from the iPhone to IPad using Bluetooth on the occasions I find myself without internet?

I know it's a bit of a niche question, but it would allow me to edit sound out in the field and file it for broadcast as soon as I reach a place with reliable wifi.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers,
Richard

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Not certain, but for images/videos in the Gallery, you can AirDrop (Apple's name for Bluetooth file transfer) between devices. So assuming your iPad and iPhone are new enough, running the latest version of iOS, you might be able to AirDrop the audio files? The question is where the audio file is stored on the iPhone to allow you to share it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.