microsoft office powerpoint

Reaction score
Hi, I have a macbook that was supplied by the education department (Western Australia) on a lease deal, as follows:

Macbook air 13 inch early 2015 (supplied as brand new this year...)
1.6gHz i5 8GB OSX 10.11.4

I have installed my own paid copy of office 365 on it

excel doesnt work (it just crashes)
powerpoint works but when I try to print slides it just spits out solid black pages

It also has an older version of office on it that it came with, but I want to use the newer one that I paid for. At the moment I am using the older version of excel since the latest one doesn't work at all, but for powerpoint I want the latest version - I use it for presentations and also for designing posters and student worksheets etc.

Has anyone had this same problem with PPT slides printing as just solid black pages? Can it be fixed? How do I fix it?

FYI the ed. department will not assist with any issues related to software they did not supply, I have not tried the apple store as I suspect they will want me to upgrade it to the latest OSX which I am not allowed to do, same same for MS help - as I cannot upgrade to latest OS I doubt they will help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have installed my own paid copy of office 365 on it

It also has an older version of office on it that it came with...

I would uninstall the older version of Office. It's possible that files from the old version of Office and the newer version of Office are getting things "confused".

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area.

OP
C
Reaction score
But I thought Mac stuff didn't 'install' in the way that windows stuff does? What does uninstalling from OSX involve? Deleting the folder from Applications?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which older version of Microsoft Office is currently on the computer? I can tell you from experience that both Microsoft Office 2011 and Office 365 can co-exist together and should not present any problems with either Word, Powerpoint, or Excel. If your Powerpoint slides are not printing correctly there may be another problem such as the printer setup or default printer setup.

If Office 2011 is the version that came with the computer you can remove it in its entirety by following Microsoft's Directions given here. However, since it's a supplied computer to you by the education department, you want to make sure that you can legally remove the software that was supplied with it and install your own software.

OP
C
Reaction score
The two versions are 2011 and 356, and with printing - slides with text seem to print but anything else (charts, graphs, shapes etc) print as a black page but look fine on screen. In addition, if I export the slides as pdf files they export normally, the pdf's look normal on screen but also print as black pages, all other pdf's print normally, those that I did not make and those that I made with microsoft word print out as expected, only ppt slides and pdf's exported from ppt print as black pages. It is driving me crazy there is at least one other mac user in my office and they don't have this issue, she is using office 2011.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand. Without more detail and digging into what's going on.... for now I would go ahead and use Powerpoint from 2011. The differences between the O365 and 2011 versions are hardly worth troubling yourself over. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, I like the 2011 versions better. One of the problems with O365 is that it scatters its files all over your Mac and uses a separate font folder for each O365 application.

I need O365 for editing on my 10.5" iPad Pro otherwise I would not even bother with it.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK (I like 365 better - but I can use 2011) except that the problem occurs with both versions of ppt - I tried using 2011 ppt yesterday because I was fkn over the printing issue and it was the same on 2011

wait

I just tried starting a new document in 2011 ppt and it prints fine, but documents created on 365 ppt print as plack pages from office 2011

so that only sort of solves the problem because I also work on windows computers with 365 on them, I don't have 2011 installed anywhere but on the macbook

M

MacInWin

MS doesn't follow the "rules" for how apps are installed and uninstalled. They spread files all over the place instead of keeping them in the application folder, as the more "polite" apps do. So it is entirely possible that the 2011 files are killing the 365 application and vice versa. I'd get rid of one or the other. Personally, I'd keep 365 as it can save and open files in the older formats as well as the new. But if you KNOW from the other person's experience that 2011 works properly, then that would do as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.