macOS Sierra 10.12.6 is now available for download

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the title states, 10.12.6 can be downloaded now. Make sure that you backup first!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well that is interesting. Just left the App Store with an update for iTunes but nothing about OS X.12.6 as yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
And even more interesting to me is that when I powered up today, I went to iTunes first and created today's playlist. Then I went surfing. The first song started playing and the iTunes app completely quit with a message that there was an update. That hasn't happened to me before. iTunes app restarted the playlist continued once the download was complete...but quit seconds later (again) asking me to install now or later. I chose now. Once it installed, iTunes started playing my music like nothing happened. I immediately checked this forum and saw the OS X update was available (thanks chscag). Like harryb, I went to the App Store and triple checked...no OS X update available!?!?!?!...still running OS X.12.5.
...just my 2¢ worth

Brent

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 6s+, MbP 2015, iWatch 2.
No update available....Nice joke -.- I finally thought they made Siri useful, I guess not :(
Waiting for the day where I can say "Hey Siri" with out pushing any buttons. (I know, there is a work around, but it doesn't work for me no matter how many times I try).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have a theory totally lacking in evidence, that Apple makes these updates available on a country or continent-wide basis to allow their servers to cope with demand.

Not available in the UK as of 8am (GMT) today, Thursday 20 July.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For sure the update is available here in the USA. Like Ian said wait if you live elsewhere. Since the last beta came out a few days ago I was waiting for the final update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 21.5" iMac. and a Mini iPad 2.
I have a theory totally lacking in evidence, that Apple makes these updates available on a country or continent-wide basis to allow their servers to cope with demand.

Not available in the UK as of 8am (GMT) today, Thursday 20 July.

Ian

Downloaded this morning here in soggy West Yorkshire. No issues so far - fingers crossed! :Smirk: John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I saw this thread yesterday, but I was in the middle of something. I updated this morning no issues, here, so far.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am also up and running on all Macs.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Since we have no Apple Watch forum, I'll post here that wOS 3.2.3 was also released. Update your  watch by connecting to the puck, then open the Watch app on your iPhone, General, Software update and let it rip. Working fine here.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reminder Jake. I knew about the wOS 3.2.3 update and should have mentioned it along with the iOS update thread. Next time. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Came through overnight. As per usual takes twice as long to install as download lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I was able to update today but I had to go hunt it down in the App Store...no automatic Apple OS X Update notices. No worries...I am happy to be on the same page as others now. +1 on harryb's comment about download vs install time.

Brent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
App Store did not "report" it last night (7/20) but it was there this morning.

Oddly, when I opened iTunes last night, it asked me if I wanted to update. I opened up the App Store, and there was nothing available. I did not just click "ok" in the iTunes dialog box. I guess I'll get that when I download the Sierra update.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iTunes update is featured along with 10.12.6. You should see both updates downloaded together. The installation of 10.12.6 was quite a bit longer than other updates have been in the past, so be patient. And... backup first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Having done it now, it seems I need to "re-authorize" my Mini (haven't tried that yet) because of 2FA, which got activated following an iPhone iOS update. (I followed the prompts on the Mac, and must have said "yes" to 2FA.) The thing is, in attempting to log into my iCloud account at work (which had been "remembering me" before) the 6-digit code sent to the iPhone rendered an error about an "incorrect" code. It was the code that Apple had just sent, so how could it be wrong???

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you ask Apple to resend another code? Also your statement about "incorrect code".... did you receive that after you tried to enter the code Apple sent or did it pop up before you used it?

And... some advice: Turn off 2FA.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And... some advice: Turn off 2FA.
If it allows you to:Not-Amused::Not-Amused:

Ian

Reaction score
Upgrade to Sierra 12.6

As the title states, 10.12.6 can be downloaded now. Make sure that you backup first!

Attempted to upgrade via the App Store but new MacBook Pro 2017 hung up after restarting and the only way I could rescue it was to Command R restart and restore from a Time Machine backup. Had turned off antivirus etc, searched forums for solutions and finally got it to update by downloading the combo update directly from Apple. Thank you to the provider of this information - lost track of where it came from having searched far and wide. Any explanations of this behaviour would be welcome.

Everything worked after the upgrade except for Mail which stalled on the preparing to import mail screen. After much searching and lots of unsuccessful fix attempts, I came across the suggestion to remove com.apple.mail from the Library/Containers folder and restart Mail. Mail now working though I had to reinstall signatures and SMTP passwords.

It is possible the two matters above are connected which is why I mentioned them both here. While things are now working for me, this may be useful to someone else. Great forum. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.