hardware test problem

G

grm211

Hi guys,

All of the sound output devices on my computer mysteriously dissapeared. I called applesupport and they suggested I run the apple hardware test. I opened the hardware test up and it got to a page where I could select my HD or the hardware test. The problem was that the wristwatch icon wouldn't go away and the computer was basically frozen.
Any ideas on how to make that watch go away or any thoughts on my missing sound output devices??
We're using os10.3.9 on a dual 2 ghz powerpc G5. There's 512mb of RAM. If you need any other specs, please let me know

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open Disc utility and rpair permissions and then repare the disc.

OP
G

grm211

baggss said:
Open Disc utility and rpair permissions and then repare the disc.

Thanks, that was good thinking
I got into the hardware test and then it said "invalid memory access..." and everything froze.
Any other ideas? I'm up for anything

Thanks again

OP
J

JunMacTech

Two things could be causing the error on the hardware test.

1. Bad ram

2. Some of the older apple hardware test discs were bad and they will fail with that error no matter what you do. Apple should replace your disk with a newer one if you ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.