Recovered Power Mac G4 no video

Reaction score
Hello, first of all I am very impressed at the amount of dedication that you enthusiasts have with macs. So today I picked up an old g4 from the recycling center and I was eager to try to restore it. I am willing to spend some money to fix it up. I turned it on and there was the Apple boop sound but no video. So I opened and saw that there was no ram inserted at all, I had one stick that fit in and I tried every slot. Sometimes the power light would pulse to indicate disk activity so I don’t think that the HDD is to blame. I will include pictures of everything and I hope that someone will be able to give me some insight as to what steps I should take to restore this Mac.

Thanks for your time

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I turned it on and there was the Apple boop sound but no video.

When you say no video...can you describe exactly what you mean? Also...you can't just stick any RAM into an Apple computer (especially an older one). Older Mac's were more "picky" about what RAM is used. The RAM you used may or may not work...but could explain if things aren't functioning properly.

Also understand the possibility that this computer may have been at the recycling center for a reason...it doesn't work or had an issue that the previous owner didn't want to deal with.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
By no video I mean when I turn it on there is nothing, no detected video activity whatsoever. Also do you mind giving me a suggestion what ram to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not without jelp from you providing a model number. There are eleven different models of G4 PowerMacs, and then within that elev en there might be up to three different models depending on CPUs etc. Memory will vary from PC-100 168 pin, through to PC-133, then later models run PC-2100 through to PC2700. Memory must be low density modules, not cheaper high density PC memory. Don't spend too much money on the G4 as they are not worth it, can only run a version of OS X up to OS X.4 or maybe OS X.5. We are currently up to OS X.12 with OS X.13 to be produced in the next few months.

And don't take it online as those old operating systems have had no security updates for years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By no video I mean when I turn it on there is nothing, no detected video activity whatsoever. Also do you mind giving me a suggestion what ram to buy?

If you're getting absoutely no video...then the video card or something about the logic board could be bad. Assuming that the video cable and display are good.

As Harry mentioned. We would need to know the exact model of this Powermac G4 in order to suggest the correct RAM.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If possible, give us the serial number of the G4 and from that we can tell which model it is. The serial number may be on the bottom plate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a 2000 model, 125MHz system bus speed, known as a Gigabit Ethernet and will run uop to OS X.4 Tiger. Here is what to buy, the full retail pack on eBay, not a silver grey system install disc:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-OSX-Tig...1e5197&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=372016036100o

Memory specs are, from Mactracker:-

2.0 GB under Mac OS X, 1.5 GB under Mac OS 8/9
Memory Slots 4 - PC-100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM
Minimum Speed 125 MHz (8 ns)

OWC, mascsales.com, sell new memory and four 2GB you would need 4x512MB modules. Starting to mount up the cost eh?

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/apple-power-mac-g4-gigabit-ethernet-400mhz-2000/memory

Last edited:
OP
O
Reaction score
Did you mean 4 ram slots? Because I can only find 3. Also if I were to buy ram is there a minimum to get it to boot or can I cheap out just to see if ram is the problem. Also is it a know issue that there is no video Output when no ram is installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are four ram slots.

Understand there is no 'cheap' options with your PowerMac. As it came from a recycle centre it has been dumped.

Your problems could include a failed mother board, a failed power supply, a failed graphics card, a failed hard drive, a failed optical drive, a failed PRAM battery and failed memory slot/s. The power light flashing, about 1/4 second duration, can be used as a diagnosis tool.For mine I would give it away as you can spend a couple of hundred bucks and still be no closer.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@OP. If this is a 2000 model Powermac G4...this is an old old computer (obviously about 17 years old). If you do get it working...what are you going to do with it? Certainly not going on the internet with it (very very very slow). You could run vintage software on it (if you had some or could find some).

The reason why I ask is...this computer on a "good-day" (and working 100%)...might fetch $15-$25 on Craig's List. Many folks actually give them away for free. I mention this because this unit is not working 100%...and it would be pretty easy to spend more than it is worth to get it working. And as I mentioned above...this thing could have a bad video card, bad logic board, weak/bad power supply, etc. And the only real way to test these things in a DIY situation...is purchase known good parts & swap them into the computer for testing.

Of course if money is not an issue...and if you enjoy the "challenge" of taking a non-working item and getting it working again...hey...have at it!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops the pics have changed and I can see it is three slots sorry OP dtravis7 is perfectly correct. The difference in memory is PC133. It will still only run up to Tiger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When he said 3 Ram slots I remembered my Digital Audio and re-checked that EMC code. My DA is far from stock. Maxed out RAM, 1.8Ghz G4 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Not fired it up in a while as 10.5 Leopard is very limited with todays Internet! :D Grin

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the helpful and prompt replies. Have a great day because everyone’s willingness to help made mine great. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.