Time Machine Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS-X Yosemite iMac, 4GB memory, 2.4 GHz Intel Processor
For the past two days, I have received the following message every hour as Time Machine tries to back up but fails.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to C and J’s AirPort Time Capsule.
The backup disk image “/Volumes/ECA’s Time Caps/ECA’s iMac.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error null).
Latest successful backup: 15 July 2017.

Any suggestions as to how I am supposed to get out of this, please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Excellent, Im glad you found the solution.

Reaction score
I am have similar issue. I have a external HD a 2 TB WD My Book, it is formatted correctly and I have done a First Aid check from Disk Utility ant it says all is OPK. I reformatted the HD and Time machine did one BU successfully but subsequent BU have failed .
See screen shots. Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 12.40.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 12.40.10 PM.png

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am have similar issue. I have a external HD a 2 TB WD My Book, it is formatted correctly and I have done a First Aid check from Disk Utility ant it says all is OPK. I reformatted the HD and Time machine did one BU successfully but subsequent BU have failed .

Ian
Ian, can you post screen shots from Disk Utility that shows the partition scheme and format type for the TM backup disk? Or the "command + I" information window for the drive?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Time machine did one BU successfully but subsequent BU have failed .

And was Disk Utility used as the message stated to run its Repair on the backup disk??

And if so, what were the results??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, thank you, that is the information I was asking for.

You have quite a few devices connected to your Mac, is the drive, you are having the issue with, connected to your iMac, or through a USB hub? Try again, with the drive connected directly to the iMac. Also, can you confirm the iMac in your profile is the Mac that is experiencing this issue?

Reaction score
The TM drive is connected directly to the iMac. Fro some reason cannot see what Is in my profile, but attached is the info on the iMac I am using.

Ian

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 8.30.49 AM.png

Reaction score
I am just throwing this out there, is it possible that Time Machine is not deleting the previous BU file as it is supposed to do when the drive becomes full??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just throwing this out there, is it possible that Time Machine is not deleting the previous BU file as it is supposed to do when the drive becomes full??

I don't use or recommend Time Machine and especially AirPort Time Capsule for any reliability and I don't see any sign of your "ECA’s Time Caps" Time Machine volume as mentioned in your #1 post here or in your screenshots.

I'd suggest reading and trying some old fixits like this or just start over:
HOW-TO
Treat a misbehaving Time Capsule

https://www.macworld.com/article/1145617/business/timecapsulerepair.html

Or try some other hits from here:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Qn2xWZumI-7s8weBhrbYCA

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deleting duplicate post that arrived here somehow.

PS: Why can't a poster delete their own unwanted complete post or am I just missing out on "how to"… ???

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Owley, sorry, I just realized you are not the OP for this thread. I saw they had an iMac in their profile, and assumed that was the one you were referring to. I was wrong.

You should disconnect the drive, if you are using a Time Capsule, as that is supposed to be wirelessly completed and connected. I don't know if that is the cause of the issue, but it may help identify the issue.

Reaction score
Not sure what Time Capsule is???. I configures from Time Machine in System Preferences. where it asked to elect a Drive I used the one I did. The first it backed up OK but subsequent BU have failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 11 Mac Mini, 2.5Gh i5, 16 GB Ram, 500 Gb SSD Sys disk, 1 Tb Data disk
Owley:

I had a similar problem that some TM backups would run and others not. Was a 'Green' WD drive and turned out it was spinning down in the middle of the BU. Installed a program called 'Disksomnia' and now no problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.