Constant ringing, bell sound.

Reaction score
"iMac 2011" On bootup a constant ringing, bell sound began. It continued after powering off, turning off the router, turning off all power, and disconnecting the power cord. On booting up again, it eventually went away. Is there a bomb inside about to go off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're telling us that the ringing continued even after you turned off all power and disconnected the power cord? If that's the case, I have to wonder if the ringing was coming from your iMac or somewhere else? No bomb but you might have to hire an exorcist. ;D

M

MacInWin

Welcome back.

I suggest you get your hearing checked. With no power there is nothing that can make any sound in an iMac. Now, the router MIGHT have a backup battery, but the iMac would not make the router ring, either.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, I didn't consider whether it was the router. Something certainly was, and it hasn't occurred again; so maybe time for an exorcism :Mischievous:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.