System Preferences problem

Reaction score
Ever since I restarted My MacBook (mid 2010,Running Sierra) i am asked to sign in to my Google accounts in System Preferences,also Facebook account. But when I put my password in the box that comes up for Google and press "next" it just goes to a blank page and hangs there till I press cancel.With the Facebook account, it just comes up with"unable to verify account name or password".Can anyone tell me what's going on? It's really annoying as Mail refuses to sync my gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Vivienne

Try deleting the accounts (highlight them and then hit the minus button at the bottom left of the window) and then re-installing them (by hitting the plus button) in SP.

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok,so I deleted my gmail account and tried to re-install, it seemed to accept my email and password but the box where you select the apps to use with this account is just sitting there doing nothing. and all my emails except the few in Outlook are gone. I should have said ,Outlook isn't affected by this problem. I press "done" and it's still sitting there!
Also, i noticed I wasn't signed into iCloud on this mac even though I am on my iPhone and iPad. I opened iCloud in SP and tried signing in, my apple id was already filled in and it asked for my apple password. But again when I filled it in it just hung there . I asked online and some people were saying it was to do with two factor authentication. Now i recently turned this on ,on account of wanting to use Fantastical Calendar which suddenly needed a password in order to use on a mac(doesn't seem to need it on my iPhone). So I Got really cross and went online and turned off the two factor thing, hoping that would solve all the problems. But it hasn't. So what now?Help! I can't even add my gmail account.Please someone help.
I should add,gmail and Facebook accounts are fine on my iPad and iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I only know enough about 2FA to leave it alone. It may be the cause of your problems and if so I'm unable to offer any solution sorry.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I shut the mac in disgust and left it for a bit. When I reopened it, I was able to set up Gmail and finally sign in to iCloud.I am now leaving 2FA strictly alone, it seems more trouble than its worth, whatever Apple says.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am now leaving 2FA strictly alone, it seems more trouble than its worth, whatever Apple says.

On the Apple side of things, I quite agree with you.

2FA, when properly applied is a good security extra; but it can really be a pain if not.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
2FA, when properly applied is a good security extra; but it can really be a pain if not.

I agree with Ian, however, it appears that in the future we may be forced to use some form of 2FA if we wish to continue using our iOS devices. Apple is very serious about enforcing security. It might be noted that all new Apple IDs assigned do require the use of 2FA. It's my hope that Apple will continue to improve 2FA so that it's not near as confusing as it currently is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

How about if it would "just work" like a Mac does? I get the six digit code within minutes, type it in, and it says it's invalid! Really has me frosted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It all started with an update to the iOS on the phone. One thing led to another, bad instructions... etc.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.