It is time for a new Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
My venerable late 2009 iMac is in need of replacement. It still runs just fine, although a little warmer than I think it should but an external fan keeps it tolerable. The main problem with it is that I cannot edit videos (even lower rez ones in 720) shot on either a Go Pro or a Nikon DSLR, and it takes it time when tweaking RAW photos. Not too bad on the photo side but I can tell it's struggling. I maxed its memory out at 16 several years ago, other than that it is 'stock'.

I do not do photography/videography professionally, just an enthusiast who likes to stay busy in retirement. I do plan on keeping the 2009 for email and browsing because I have no intentions of having the new Mac even hooked up to the net. Just to the wall plug for juice. It will be a 'working machine', no gaming, no word processing or spreadsheet work, just exploring my potential in photography and videography. :cool:

Here are my questions.

Right now I am looking at the 27" iMac. I think the upcoming iMac Pro would be a little overkill for me (I do not plan on making any movies like "Avatar" on it) and it is not available right now anyway. I intend to go to my local Apple store tomorrow or Tuesday and come away with something that will work for me.

1) 3.8 Ghz or 4.2? It seems they do not charge you extra for the 4.2, at least that is what I just observed on their site.

2) 2TB Fusion vs 1TB SSD? I presently have several backup drives that I use frequently for photo storage, and right now, the 1TB drive I am using now to talk with you is 85% EMPTY. Yes, you read that right.... I keep a 'clean' HD so it works to it's maximum potential. Is the SSD faster and runs cooler than the Fusion drive?

3) Memory..... I am thinking that 32 MB would be fine to start out with but am unsure whether it can be upgraded at a later date if needed? If not, I can just max it out right now if need be.

4) I know this isn't the 'right' part of the forum to ask, but I thought I'd do it anyway. I see that I can get Final Cut installed on the new Mac but is it better than Lightroom? (I do not have Lightroom right now, I have held off buying it because I don't think my old machine here would handle it). Currently I use the Nikon software for editing RAW images and Adobe Premier for videos-(which hasn't been done for quite awhile now due to inability to run smoothly or run at all).

That's it for now.

As always, a big TIA to all of those regulars here who help me out from time to time. :cool:

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi Pat,

Some answers for your questions.

1) Yes, there is a difference in price between the two processors, the 4.2 is $200 more than the 3.8.

2) Personally, I don't like Fusion drives, which are actually 2 separate drives (SSD & HDD). So, the 2TB Fusion has a 128GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. The 1TB SSD would be way overkill, the 512GB would be ok, in my opinion.

3) Yes, the 27" iMac has memory that is user upgradeable. Since you have 16GB now, I believe you would be fine starting with 16GB from Apple, then if you feel you need more, you can get another 16GB, or get a 32GB kit, to add in.

4) I'm not familiar with Lightroom, but I believe it is an image/picture editing app, Final Cut is a video editing app. What version of Adobe Premiere are you currently using? It may not be compatible with the new macOS 12?

Good luck, and I'm sure others will pitch in with their preferences too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Final Cut and LR do different things. FC is a video editor while LR is (to me anyway) the standard for photo editing.

Good luck with getting a new iMac :)

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply, nickyr!

And thx for clearing up my mis-worded question on LR vs FC. ;-)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey p_rod. I think you asked the same question back in February.;)

Not trying to push you into purchasing a new computer. But a 2009 iMac as you know is going on 8 years old. Many folks upgrade between 3-5 years.

Your Late 2009 3.06ghz core 2 duo 27" iMac has a CPU benchmark score of around 3100. Depending on the exact model...a brand new 2017 27" iMac has a CPU benchmark score of between 13,000 to 18,500 (approximately 400%-600% faster)....and MUCH faster graphics hardware!!! You're not going to go wrong purchasing any 2017 27" iMac!:)

Regarding the iMac Pro. Yes I agree. Unless you're doing something SUPER special...have $5000+ to spend...and you're currently "surviving" with a Late 2009 iMac...you don't need an iMac Pro!!!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, which benchmarking program are you speaking of? Would love to try it on my 2010 Quad core and see what scores I get.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all, Ferrar, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. :cool: You've convinced me to just go with the SSD drive.

And Pigoo? Your memory is much better than mine (you must have 128 GB while mine's hovering somewhere back in the KB range ;-)

But thanks for the processing info.....

I've decided to just go over to my local Apple store (there is one within walking distance of me, 1.2 miles) tomorrow and just grin and bear it.

My 2009 iMac (my first Mac that got me away from the Dark Side) just needs to relax and get my mail and continue to serve as a very decent browser and occasional word processor).

I promise to return here and let you know what 'followed me home' from the Apple store.

I am sure this new machine will throw me a few curveballs here and there too, so just get ready to provide some more info, here and there, to keep me chugging along! ;D

Again, thanks to everyone who replied here.

Of many forums spanning many disciplines, (flying, motorcycles, kayaking, and more) that I've been a member of over the years, this one still tops them all for fast, reliable and friendly advice. And there is something to say about that, considering what's going on "out there' right now.

Cheers!

Pat, aka p_rod

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've decided to just go over to my local Apple store (there is one within walking distance of me, 1.2 miles) tomorrow and just grin and bear it.

I promise to return here and let you know what 'followed me home' from the Apple store.

Sounds good p_rod. If you're going to the Apple store...I'm sure something extra WILL be following you home!;)

Just two bits of advice. If you're getting a 27" iMac...get it with flash storage...and DON'T get extra RAM. You can always upgrade the RAM yourself later...and Apple charges way to much for RAM (approximately 2x-3x what you can get for somewhere else). To get 16gig of RAM...Apple charges $200...you can get it for $79.99.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds good p_rod. If you're going to the Apple store...I'm sure something extra WILL be following you home!;)

Just two bits of advice. If you're getting a 27" iMac...get it with flash storage...and DON'T get extra RAM. You can always upgrade the RAM yourself later...and Apple charges way to much for RAM (approximately 2x-3x what you can get for somewhere else). To get 16gig of RAM...Apple charges $200...you can get it for $79.99.:)

- Nick

Nick!

Your two bits of advice were EXCELLENT!

I am getting the 27" Mac....my old one is that size and I cannot see going smaller. But your tip on the RAM was great! I had planned to just grin and bear it and max it out at 64 GB and be done with it. But as you said, they are awfully proud of their RAM and being mechanically inclined anyway, adding it later shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for the SSD, I guess going the 1 TB route will work well too, although on my 1TB iMac now it is about 85% free.... anything "worth" saving goes on at least one external drive and is removed from the main drive to keep it from getting 'constipated'. Having the extra room over the 1/2 gig drive, in the long run, seems the wiser thing to do right now.

Thank, Nick!

A lot!

Cheers!

Pat

I am heading over there right now, but it's to basically just talk a few things over. The company my wife retired from still offers their 'ex-employees' a 10% discount on all Apple gear so I'll have to order it online to get the discount.....then just go pick it up. But before I do that, I have a few questions for the techies over there concerning hookups for my external drives, thumb drives, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had planned to just grin and bear it and max it out at 64 GB and be done with it.

Just for fun I checked what the price comparision would be to upgrade to 64gig of RAM (Apple vs. you):

- $1400 from Apple.
- $649.99 if you did it.

Can buy a lot of burrito's with that savings!;)

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked it myself, Nick.

Is 8 GB going to be enough to render RAW photos and edit videos?

TIA!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say get the iMac...check it out...and see how things go. Certainly going to be a heck of a lot faster than your 2009 iMac!;)

If 8gig doesn't seem to be enough...then get a RAM upgrade ASAP from OWC (macsales.com). An extra 8gig of RAM (giving you a total of 16gig of RAM) = $79.99.

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is what I am going to do, Nick. I am presently ordering it right now...the Apple Store was absolutely nuts today....it took about 30 minutes just to talk to someone about connecting cables, etc, etc.

I will let you know what follows me home in the next day or so!

Cheers!
Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Pat (hope I'm not too late). You never mentioned exactly what model 27" iMac you were ordering. One bit of advice (or something to consider) is...upgrading the CPU to the "i7". I was helping someone else with the same purchase question last week...and as CPU upgrades go...the "i7" CPU upgrade for the 27" iMac is one heck of a "bang for the buck" upgrade!:)

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick!

I am still waiting for wife to get discount details from her former company.

Here is what I am getting, unless talked out of it! ;-)

27" iMac with Retina 5K
4.2 GHz (Turbo Boost to 4.5)
1TB SSD
8 Gig RAM (Originally I was going to get the 64 GB, but you saved me 1400.00!!!! So I'll opt for the 8 and can upgrade for much less later!

Will prolly keep old magic mouse and keyboard....they still work well.

Will also need some cables for this and that but will wait and see. I can walk to the store in 15 minutes or drive there in 3. ;-)

The kid at Apple got this real strange look on his face when I told him I had no plans to hook this machine to the Net. I know I'll have to do it once in awhile to check for upgrades, etc..... but NO email, NO browsing, No iTunes, nothing like that. Strictly a machine to buff and shine photographs and later, videos. And yeah, voice recordings with a Yeti mic for podcast-type stuff.

I did learn that if I want blinding speed in transferring files, backing up, etc, I need to upgrade my local drives to the Thunderbolt 3 stuff.... but that can wait. I can afford to wait a few minutes while downloading pics off the cameras. ;-) I have NO deadlines to meet.

So that's about it for now.....I'll let you know when she arrives! :cool:

And thanks again for saving me a chunk of change!

Cheers!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what I am getting, unless talked out of it! ;-)

27" iMac with Retina 5K
4.2 GHz (Turbo Boost to 4.5)
1TB SSD
8 Gig RAM (Originally I was going to get the 64 GB, but you saved me 1400.00!!!! So I'll opt for the 8 and can upgrade for much less later!

That's going to be one nice setup Pat!:) I would add that what you're getting has the 4.2ghz i7 CPU (this is the CPU upgrade that I mentioned in my last post).:) When I did the math last week...that i7 CPU upgrade increased the CPU benchmark score by something like 42% (that's a BIG "bang for the buck" increase for only $200 more)!:)

- Comparing your old 2009 27" iMac to this iMac. Your 2009 iMac has a CPU benchmark score of about 3128...this new 2017 27" iMac has a CPU benchmark score of 18,587. Practically a 6x speed CPU speed increase.
- Also...the video hardware in your old 27" iMac was a ATI Radeon HD 4670...and the new 27" iMac has AMD Radeon Pro 580 graphics hardware. The new graphics hardware will probably be equally faster (or more).

For budget reasons I probably would have gone with the 512GB SSD...but if your budget allows for the 1TB SSD...great!:)

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't believe all the data you can dig up, Nick, especially on a relic like my iMac. ;-) I can't wait...like a kid right before Christmas.

The finance minister did give me an ultimatum tho.... I have to paint my 'office', plus the cabinet/bureau/armoire that my iMac lives in now cannot handle two...so it'll have to go and I'll have to come up with something (a couple of sawhorses and some plywood just won't cut it) :cool:

I almost thought of the 512GB too... but having extra space, if needed, may come in handy...although I am pretty rigid about never filling any hard drive more than 40% (My old iMac is only 15%--thanks to lots of external drives).

I'll keep you posted, for sure!

As always, THANKS!

Cheers!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't believe all the data you can dig up, Nick, especially on a relic like my iMac. ;-) I can't wait...like a kid right before Christmas.

After 8 years of using that iMac...I would think so!:)

The finance minister did give me an ultimatum tho.... I have to paint my 'office', plus the cabinet/bureau/armoire that my iMac lives in now cannot handle two...so it'll have to go and I'll have to come up with something (a couple of sawhorses and some plywood just won't cut it) :cool:

If that's all you have to do to get the thumb's up to purchase a $3,000 computer...I would definitely do it!:)

I'm about to start painting my whole house...and I ain't getting "nuttin" but a newly painted house!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.