Ways to Get iTunes to Rescan ID3 Tags

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I just deleted a bunch of comments in Mp3tag and I cannot get iTunes to update. I have almost 13,000 songs and I really don't want to delete everything from iTunes and add it back in.

I tried adding all of my music back into iTunes so that it would rescan everything, but that didn't work. I tried changing the equalizer preset and then changing it back, but that didn't work. I also made a script to refresh the tags and that didn't work.

The only thing that has worked is deleting it from iTunes and then adding it back in.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

Also, I know that I can do this in iTunes. However, I'm going to be editing some other stuff that iTunes can't do and I would like for the changes to actually show up in iTunes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe you can find something useful at "Doug's Applescripts for iTunes". He has a lot of great scripts that are for iTunes alone. Give his site a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I found this;

IC4RUS 9:43 PM - 27 February, 2013I just tried this out on a mac.

-Select all, command i
-change equalizer preset
-songs rescan
-change equalizer preset back to none
-all info is preserved and tracks are rescanned

its an extra step but if you use the composer field or track number field this is an alternative.

Here, https://serato.com/forum/discussion/675257

OP
S
Reaction score
Maybe you can find something useful at "Doug's Applescripts for iTunes". He has a lot of great scripts that are for iTunes alone. Give his site a try.

Yes, I have actually been using a few of his scripts, but he doesn't seem to have anything that will work for this instance. :-/

I found this;

IC4RUS 9:43 PM - 27 February, 2013I just tried this out on a mac.

-Select all, command i
-change equalizer preset
-songs rescan
-change equalizer preset back to none
-all info is preserved and tracks are rescanned

its an extra step but if you use the composer field or track number field this is an alternative.

Here, https://serato.com/forum/discussion/675257

I've actually already tried this, but it didn't work. :-(

Reaction score
Itunes!

Just a simple Google search would make it so clear that no one really knows why or how it happens but for sure there are many who have lost their entire iTunes library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.