deleting facebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Me too. Though I'm unlikely to deactivate - half my social life is on fbook!

Searched for 'delete account' and this is what came up:

"If you don't think you'll use Facebook again, you can request to have your account permanently deleted. Please keep in mind that you won't be able to reactivate your account or retrieve anything you've added. Before you do this, you may want to download a copy of your info from Facebook. Then, if you'd like your account permanently deleted with no option for recovery, log into your account and let us know.
When you delete your account, people won't be able to see it on Facebook. It may take up to 90 days from the beginning of the deletion process to delete all of the things you've posted, like your photos, status updates or other data stored in backup systems. While we are deleting this information, it is inaccessible to other people using Facebook.
Some of the things you do on Facebook aren’t stored in your account. For example, a friend may still have messages from you even after you delete your account. That information remains after you delete your account."
About 10 years ago, I deleted my Facebook account, which was under my real name rather than MICHELANGELO. I had to do an exhaustive Google search to non-Facebook pages to finally find the path. The correct path was available (legal obligation) but carefully hidden to preserve Facebook access to my metadata. I ended up with something equivalent to your quoted route, with the 3-months time to change my mind. After my permanent closing of my account, I needed to be extra careful not-to access Facebook anymore, failing which Facebook would immediately jump to the opportunity to reactivate my deleted account, which was indeed not deleted at all. Over 10 years after, I still doubt my account was really deleted and believe my metadata get updated every time I open a webpage with a Facebook link. HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Or unless one has the money to buy Facebook, pretty doubtful, just get used to the idea that they're going to keep your metadata anyway, you just won't be able to see it, but neither will most other users.

Just a quick google search on something like 'is a Facebook account really deleted' will give lots of hits to read:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=eN5sWZnQJPTe8AfguLOQDw

Or just logout of your FB account and don't bother signing in or using it. And maybe get some of your time and life back. :Evil:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At one time it was very difficult to remove a Facebook account, however, after many incidents of abuse and complaints over the years they now allow an account to be permenantly deleted. I won't go over that again as it has been documented on how to do it in this thread. In my humble opinion, Facebook can be a very useful means of communicating via social media, but like anything else can be abused and used for the wrong purposes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.