deleting facebook

Reaction score
I am trying to delete my Facebook account. I have had advice from many many people all basically telling me the same thing--go to settings, account, delete account. However I can never ever find anywhere that has a delete my account option. Not under security, not under setting, nowhere. In the Facebook help setting they just say "let us know" Well, how do I let them know. when I go to sites suggested such as Facebook.com/help/delete_account, all that happens is it takes me right to my account and nowhere is there a delete option. Really don't know what do? Any suggestions.

OP
J
Reaction score
When I go to that site I get the reply on how to delete my account and "let us know" I do not get the Delete My Account that you show

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I don't know what you're doing wrong but all you need to do is go to "Settings", "Security", "Delete My Account". You'll be asked to give a reason and then it will ask again if you're sure. Perhaps not easy to find but it does work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry but when I go to Settings there is NO Security, and NO Delete My Account. If it were that easy I would have done it long ago and would not be asking for help on the Forum.

M

MacInWin

I just went there. Open Facebook in your browser, Click Settings, then General and under Manage Account I would Deactivate. Try that sequence.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Try Deactivating your account as Jake suggested and see if that works. You can figure out how to delete after that..

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. However, the strange thing is, when I go to General, there is no Manage Account option.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll have to show us screenshots since General is the default place you end up when you click on Settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just adding my tiny support for the OP, Jardine.

Login to FB, Settings, General Account Settings, Manage Account, Deactivate is all I'm offered.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Me too. Though I'm unlikely to deactivate - half my social life is on fbook!

Searched for 'delete account' and this is what came up:

"If you don't think you'll use Facebook again, you can request to have your account permanently deleted. Please keep in mind that you won't be able to reactivate your account or retrieve anything you've added. Before you do this, you may want to download a copy of your info from Facebook. Then, if you'd like your account permanently deleted with no option for recovery, log into your account and let us know.
When you delete your account, people won't be able to see it on Facebook. It may take up to 90 days from the beginning of the deletion process to delete all of the things you've posted, like your photos, status updates or other data stored in backup systems. While we are deleting this information, it is inaccessible to other people using Facebook.
Some of the things you do on Facebook aren’t stored in your account. For example, a friend may still have messages from you even after you delete your account. That information remains after you delete your account."

OP
J
Reaction score
If it were that simple I would have done that long ago and not asked for help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Seen that, been there, done that, to no avail. That is why I am asking for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Seen that, been there, done that, to no avail. That is why I am asking for help.

You'll get short shrift with that attitude.

Nevertheless, I've looked again and you/I are missing something. On the page 'How do I permanently delete my account?', the words let us know are highlighted in blue. Click on them and it takes you to the delete request page.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 17.46.56 (1).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 17.42.35 (1).jpg

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to all who offered advice. Unfortunately those were my first lines of defence and they did not work. I came to the Mac Forum as an Apple user wanting advice from other Apple users. Going to Facebook did not solve my problem so I came to this site. When I went to the "let us know" highlighted in blue, all it did was take me to my Facebook page and it did not take me to the delete request page. I did try all the obvious ways suggested but unfortunately none of them worked. I have never been able to access any "delete my account" command. Sorry to all those who feel offended when I have said that I have tried all the methods suggested.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all who offered advice. Unfortunately those were my first lines of defence and they did not work. I came to the Mac Forum as an Apple user wanting advice from other Apple users. Going to Facebook did not solve my problem so I came to this site. When I went to the "let us know" highlighted in blue, all it did was take me to my Facebook page and it did not take me to the delete request page. I did try all the obvious ways suggested but unfortunately none of them worked. I have never been able to access any "delete my account" command. Sorry to all those who feel offended when I have said that I have tried all the methods suggested.

Which browser are you using and do you have any extensions running? Assuming you know all of your website passwords and don't rely on the ones saved in the Browser to get you into sites, you should clear all history, cache and data from the browser, disable all plugins JUST for the test of whether you can get to the right Facebook page..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe log out of Facebook, and then log back in?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.