Are frayed power adaptors safe to use?

Reaction score
Should I toss these out or are they still safe to use? I have an extra one so there's no issue there.

ACAdaptors.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it depends ~ if you enjoy getting a kick out of life!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll throw a question back at you. Is it a good idea to use ANY frayed electrical cords?? I think you know the answer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Should I toss these out or are they still safe to use? I have an extra one so there's no issue there.

They are extremely *unsafe*. Fraying cords has been a big problem with Apple's ac adapters. So much so there was a class action lawsuit against Apple in the U.S. and as a result Apple instituted an extended replacement program.

https://www.cultofmac.com/128714/apple-introduces-magsafe-adapter-replacement-program/

Technically this program has expired. But from what I hear, if you take both your Macbook and the ac adapter to a brick and mortar Apple store, and they deem it to be unsafe, at their discretion they may still replace your ac adapter for free.

There are lots of Magsafe Power Adapter knock-offs available, and most of them are garbage and unsafe themselves. However, if Apple won't replace yours, and you need another one, I may be able to point you to a knockoff that is quite good, and a fraction of the usurious price that Apple charges. (I would need to know the exact model and year of your Macbook.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
WOW!!!! Not only is that about the worst and I gather, still in use frayed power adapter cable I have ever seen, it also seems to be showing in the shot of severe overheating, i.e. where the light brown tan coloring is.

Definitely NOT safe to use in that state!!! Gheese!!!

BTW: If you're a bit of a good handyman, you can get some apple power adapter replacement cable ends by searching the web. And just replace the kaput cable. No need to throw away the adapter power supply.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks,everyone. I've stopped using both cables. I had seen some frayed adapters so I thought many people just kept using them.

Technically this program has expired. But from what I hear, if you take both your Macbook and the ac adapter to a brick and mortar Apple store, and they deem it to be unsafe, at their discretion they may still replace your ac adapter for free.

There are lots of Magsafe Power Adapter knock-offs available, and most of them are garbage and unsafe themselves. However, if Apple won't replace yours, and you need another one, I may be able to point you to a knockoff that is quite good, and a fraction of the usurious price that Apple charges. (I would need to know the exact model and year of your Macbook.)

Thanks, I was going to toss the as I had read that tha program had expired. But I'll give it a try at the Apple Store just in case.

PM-r, does the overheating reflect an issue with my Macbook?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Toss them out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In my 5+ years of MBP ownership (iMac prior to that with a traditional power plug), I've used 2 MBPs and 1 MBA and I have to say that none of my cables have shown any sight of damage let alone getting to the brink of being severed like the ones pictured here..:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Same here Ashwin. I'm super super careful with my Mac portable power cables. Making sure I don't wind them up too tightly when traveling...and DEFINITELY don't bend the cable too much within the first couple inches of cable near the magsafe connector & the power supply end. I literally just about everytime I move my MacBook Pro from my lap to a table...I verify that the cable near the magsafe connector is not bent or kinked (one of the most damage prone area's for the cable).

Been doing this since the days of the G3 Powerbook's (about 15 years or so). This was before the mag-safe design...but the cable was still prone to this sort of fraying/splitting damage at both the power-port end and the power suppy end.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,everyone. I've stopped using both cables. I had seen some frayed adapters so I thought many people just kept using them.

Thanks, I was going to toss the as I had read that tha program had expired. But I'll give it a try at the Apple Store just in case.

PM-r, does the overheating reflect an issue with my Macbook?

FWIW, in my experience, I've come across and used non-Apple brand cables that last and work way better than Apple's that just don't seem to get improved.

Moshi sure seems to come to mind that provided better quality cables etc., at least in my experience:
https://www.moshi.com

And I doubt the signs of possible overheating did any real damage to your Mac, especially if its all working properly now.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
In my 5+ years of MBP ownership (iMac prior to that with a traditional power plug), I've used 2 MBPs and 1 MBA and I have to say that none of my cables have shown any sight of damage let alone getting to the brink of being severed like the ones pictured here..:)

Yep, same here. My first thought is probably both unfair and incorrect but I immediately think here is someone who has no respect for the device, it's monetary worth, it's personal value or the concepts of care and maintenance.
On the other hand I know field workers, anthropologists and surveyors who are constantly in the open where their device is jerked out of a bag or plastic box used and stuffed back in rear of a 4 wheel drive till the next stop. Their devices are constantly exposed to the elements, dirt, rain, salt, insects and dirty hands. Their screens are scratched and their cables are frayed and nicked, when they wear out they just replace them and treat the new one in exactly the same way.
It horrifies me but it's only a different attitude. To these people it is a tool and maintenance is only about function, not appearance (although I would argue it's the same thing). Keeping the chain clean on my bike for example is as much about function as appearance. Different horses for different courses.

OP
U
Reaction score

I admit that I've allowed the adapter to kink all the time. Following Pigoo3, I'm now watching out for that.

Reaction score
Yep, same here. My first thought is probably both unfair and incorrect but I immediately think here is someone who has no respect for the device, it's monetary worth, it's personal value or the concepts of care and maintenance.

Yes, I agree, I think that you are being both unfair and incorrect. ;)

I've heard from lots of folks in my user group who have had the cable fray on their laptop's ac power supply. Personally I've never had it happen to me, but it has happened to both my wife and my daughter, and both are extremely careful with their computer equipment.

There are two ways to keep this from happening if one has the foresight to take preventative measures.

The cable always frays right where it exits the body of the adapter, where it has to make the biggest bend when wrapped for transport.

There are companies that sell a reinforcing boot that will protect this area:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDHVC7K/?tag=macforums0e4-20

However, folks in my user group developed a more effective, if less attractive solution. A large dollop of "SHOE GOO" or "SPORTMAN'S GOOP" glue (available at any Wal-Mart) right where the wire comes out of the body of the adapter, will very effectively keep the wire from being stressed at that location. Shoe Goo dries to a flexible, yet very tough consistency and is perfect for this application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are companies that sell a reinforcing boot that will protect this area:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDHVC7K/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Wow!! I must admit I choked a bit when I checked that URL and saw this:

Python Cords | Laptop Charger Protector for Macbook & PC (White)
by PythonCords.com
Be the first to review this item
Sale: CDN$ 70.91 + CDN$ 17.99 shipping
[/QUOTE] (Bold mine)

Gads. That's some "SALE" price. Oh yes, then add that shipping… and no mention of brokerage or duty fees. But that's for us Canadians eh??? :Blushing:

I will have to admit some of our cords do support a much cheaper solution, and even they have been well treated, but with a bit of flexible hot glue gun "glue" applied in a smooth and rolled out taper works well and is a **** of a lot cheaper. ;D

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

Wow!! I must admit I choked a bit when I checked that URL and saw this:

Python Cords | Laptop Charger Protector for Macbook & PC (White)
by PythonCords.com
Be the first to review this item
Sale: CDN$ 70.91 + CDN$ 17.99 shipping
[/QUOTE] (Bold mine)

Gads. That's some "SALE" price. Oh yes, then add that shipping… and no mention of brokerage or duty fees. But that's for us Canadians eh??? :Blushing:

I will have to admit some of our cords do support a much cheaper solution, and even they have been well treated, but with a bit of flexible hot glue gun "glue" applied in a smooth and rolled out taper works well and is a **** of a lot cheaper. ;D

- Patrick
======
I think you are looking at the wrong price. It's $15USD, unless you add in the charger as well, then it does jump up. Now, maybe Canada is so desperate for funds to pay for all that "free" stuff from the government that they add $55 in taxes and duties, but I suspect that maybe you can look again? Or drive across the border and buy it from the US Amazon store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are looking at the wrong price.

Sorry Jake, same absurd pricing, and no charger included.

Some of the Amazon pricing for Canadians has gone a bit crazy lately.

For example here's part of an email conversation with a friend several days ago over a new replacement printer I've been looking at, and the "Special Offer" from an Amazon email:

Canon Office and Business MX922 All-in-one Printer, Wireless and...
by Canon

Was $79.99
Price: $78.99

Not too bad and no big bargain, but wait until one gets to the "SALE" and sees this:

Price: $78.99 + $115.06 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Canada Details

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVWKUJS/?tag=macforums0e4-20 [Ad Now changed at that URL]

Yeah right!!!

Gheese, Staples.ca, londondrugs and the source etc. often sell it cheaper than just the quoted shipping cost. Such a bargain eh??? NOT!!!
—————-

PS: BTW, I just ordered one locally from one of the BIG stores on Thursday afternoon that had it on sale for $69.99cdn and free delivery that should arrive this coming Monday.

I sure hope it lasts longer than mu Canon Pixma MG5620 that just recently started doing some double printing that defies to be fixed. And I had just ordered a double supply of ink cartridges which will also fit the newer Canon Pixma MX922 printer. Part of my planning!!! ;D

PPS: And no, our government may at most charge $5.00 for customs clearance on such US products but usually nothing.

And thank God for our Government health plan as it saved my life several times over the last few years and the premiums were something we as fixed income seniors could actually afford as well.

Sorry to get OT and I won't get into politics, especially when your country and your new President are concerned. But you do have our sympathy!! … :D

EDIT:
BTW; the Canon Pixma MX922 printer normally retails for $199.99cdn so $130.00 discount wasn't too bad a bargain at all I thought.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.