PC Games on Intel iMac?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking over the whole Boot Camp deal and have been interested in seeing if PC games are being ran on these Intel iMacs using Boot Camp and booting in XP? (I have a G4 Powerbook myself, so I can't try).

If so, how's the performance and how are the video drivers behaving? I'm talking about graphic intensive games where hardware acceleration is needed.

Thanks,

Oleg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It rocks..

My colleague has loaded up quite a few games on his Macbook Pro and it just rocks...
The iMac should be similar in performance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I just finished loading Rome: Total War, and it's FASTER than anything else I've ever used.

Reaction score
BlindingLights said:
I just finished loading Rome: Total War, and it's FASTER than anything else I've ever used.

What?? That's one of my favourite games. I've got the whole series. Sheesh, do I have to buy an intel iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
Yeah, one of the iMacs in compusa had WoW installed on it, so I decided to type in my account and play for awhile to see how well it ran, and omg...

The display and everything in-game was so beautiful. I had everything turned up and it was cutting through the game like butter - and mind you that WoW is a very graphic intensive game and it ran it just fine with settings all up under Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
also the add, the colors of the display are so clear and vivid, it made me drooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
I just bought one of the new intel imacs a few weeks ago. I have been playing Morrowind: Oblivion through windows on it and holy crap....

I have the graphics, sound, EVERYTHING maxed out, and no lag, nothing. 1.83 intel imac with 512 ram and this is running better than my brothers custom built pentium 4 computer.

i couldnt be happier with the ability to get windows and OSX on the same machine.

K

keithnyc

Also installed Oblivion and have great gameplay performance.

WoW runs beautifully as well (using the WoW mac client + Universal patch)

My iMac has pwned me =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cjay said:
What?? That's one of my favourite games. I've got the whole series. Sheesh, do I have to buy an intel iMac.

Yes, definately get an Intel Mac if you intend to use this. I went TWO MONTHS without R:TW until Apple released Boot Camp, and let me tell you, those were the two worst months of my life gaming wise.

And btw u gonna get Medieval: Total War II?

Reaction score
BlindingLights said:
Yes, definately get an Intel Mac if you intend to use this. I went TWO MONTHS without R:TW until Apple released Boot Camp, and let me tell you, those were the two worst months of my life gaming wise.

And btw u gonna get Medieval: Total War II?

I've got the first one and barely got to play it on my old PC before it died. I'm definitely looking into selling my G4 mini and replacing it with an iMac.

You know I really miss the old Shogun Total War. Top game.

How do you guys find the graphics card handling all these PC games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
i've been playing oblivion on my imac and i'm totally hooked. it's like crack.

L

Logan

I've been thinking about trying to do OSX -> X11 -> Cedega for playing Win32 games... I don't know how well the OSX -> X11 conversion goes, but if it does.. I know Cedega is pretty good at emulating a lot of games that I play. I purchased it from this fact alone for my *nix boxes

Not that I particularly plan to run many games on a Mac, it would be a nice side bonus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, just finished Oblivion install, and I'm hooked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
not entirely off-topic...but on the boot camp install instructions it says a usb keyboard and mouse are required. does this mean specifically that my wireless keyboard and mouse wouldnt work? thank you

-Tyler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
TBoblp said:
not entirely off-topic...but on the boot camp install instructions it says a usb keyboard and mouse are required. does this mean specifically that my wireless keyboard and mouse wouldnt work? thank you

-Tyler

the wireless keyboard and mouse won't work during windows setup, so i think you just need to plug one in while you're installing windows.

Reaction score
umm two questions
1. does the windows install disk for bootcamp have to be genuine??
2. does anyone know how to run oblivion through darwine apparently its possible i can install it but it crashes whenever i try to play it

thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.) No
2.) sorry, don't know.

To the original poster - installing Windows on a Mac machine is no different from running it on a PC. Your Mac 'is' a PC when it is running Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.