• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning DVD in iDVD2...738 minutes?

C

catslikemice

Very new to this forum and new to working with video on my mac. Just purchased Sony DCR PC 330 mini dv handicam and used it as a pass thru analog to digital in order to put some old 8mm/vhs stuff to DVD.

Made some fun titles, etc, in iMovie3, then exported project to a quicktime movie, then imported the quick time movie to iDVD2, as I don't yet own iDVD3. When I went to burn the 1 hr 13 minute movie in iDVD2, found out that burning the silly dvd would take about 738 minutes. Is this normal? This is my first attempt at burning anything and it's killin' me to wait 12 hrs or so just to find out I made a coaster!

Other questions...is it imperative that I purchase iLife for the iDVD3?

I've spent the day reading posts around here for some of these answers and I've heard Toast mentioned more than a few times. What is it? Why is it so good? Does it come with a good manual?

Would love to hear all your opinions on the above.

Thanks in advance.

V

OP
C

catslikemice

The morning after followup:

It worked! The DVD plays on my Sony DVD player! The other good news is that when I checked on the progress of the burn when I woke up at 12:30 a.m., it was done.

Would still like to have my other questions answered about Toast or any other good programs out there that would be helpful in burning DVD's.

Thanks!

V

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Toast is a CD/DVD burning program by Roxio. It is the mac equivilant of Easy CD Creator from windows. I have not used it extensively but many people here say that it is a much easier way to burn dvds/cds and is also faster.

I looked around apples website and it does look like you are required to buy iLife to get iDVD 3.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have used Toast 6 to burn DVDs. It has taken me any where from 8 to 12 hours to create the DVD. I believe the burn time maybe about an hour, and the remaining time was used in creating the mpeg2 file. I am using a 500Mhz G4 powerbook, with 768 MB of memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.