iPhoto Filenames?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
Is there any way to rename my iPhoto files to their titles? I have all of the titles sorted out now, but the filenames are still IMG-4984 etc, and this is a real pain when I email them to people. I like to have filenames that reflect the content.. my customers appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There is a script to do this with iTunes tracks, I'd imagine you might be able to modify it to do the same for iPhoto, provided you know a bit of applescript...

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
There is a script to do this with iTunes tracks, I'd imagine you might be able to modify it to do the same for iPhoto, provided you know a bit of applescript...

thanks for the tip. unfortunately, i have no idea how to use applescript, so that's a no go.

Reaction score
Thats annoying, i thought changing the title changed the filename...
Seems i'll have to re-think my organisation..

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mda1224 said:

Nope. You cannot touch iPhoto items from outside of iPhoto or the entire library will be rendered unstable. If I were to change the filename of a picture in iPhoto, using Finder, iPhoto would no longer be able to find that picture. I would have to reimport it, and then I'd lose all of my keywords. This would be a real pain for like 5,000 pictures.

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mig.gentry said:
Thats annoying, i thought changing the title changed the filename...
Seems i'll have to re-think my organisation..

I know. It's crazy. How could Apple have overlooked this option?

I get that iPhoto is supposed to be all-inclusive and the program we use and forget about the files and blah blah, but I do still email large amounts of files to large amounts of people several times a week, and the filenames are all over the place. Is it really so difficult for iPhoto to change the filename along with the title? I mean, come on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually, there IS an option to change the filename:

If you hit export, just select the "Name: use title" option, to change the filename to whatever you've set as the title.

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Actually, there IS an option to change the filename:

If you hit export, just select the "Name: use title" option, to change the filename to whatever you've set as the title.

That's not very efficient and it requires me to export my entire library of god knows how many files and then reimport them. I'd lose all of my keywords and organization.
I suppose I could use that for a case-by-case basis and then just delete them off my desktop afterwards, but once again, that's really inefficient. I like using the MAIL button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.