zoom or wide angle?? i am looking to pick up a new lense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
for my nikon d50 i am looking to pick up a new, or used, zoom or wide anglelense. i am trying to figure out the cost/benefits of each lense and if someone could give me a quick "what you would shoot with each lense" that would be awesome and probably help me figure out what i might want to use.

in the long run i see myself picking up both of these lenses but due to cost i will be doing this one at a time.

TIA
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Wide angle is going to be for Landscapes, Architecture, Strange Perspective type shots... A long zoom lens is going to be more usefull for Sports, Wildlife, Etc.

Of course all of this is just generalizing... There are no rules, it just depends on what lens you think you'll get the most use out of. Your best bet is to drop by a camera shop and try a few to see what focal range you want to start using first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you got the D50 with the body and lens kit then get a zoom lens. It then sort of gives you the tools to experiment with both ends.

Ive got the 350D with the standard 18-55 and then i got the 100-300MK2 USM, now while a better wide lens would have been more appropriate for most occasions the zoom lens still gives me plenty of scope to go out and try shooting different stuff than i normally would.

Still like its been said take your camera to a shop and just ask to have a play with some lens'

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i didnt know that i could do something like bring my camera to a shop and try stuff out...too bad all the people who own/work at the local camera shops are complete a holes, i mean it is rediculous.

i was buying a bag and the dude was talkin smack abou tthe fact that i got the camera body with the kit lense because thats all i could afford at the moment

maybe ill go to b&h photovideo in the city, its only a short trip.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
B & H is an awesome store, check that out...I think the benefits of a zoom lense would be greater for me, as I'm more into sports and animal wildlife. It also depends on what kinda length you were looking at for a zoom... Zoom lenses tend to be more fun in the long run, and they allow for a greater variety of shots other than the wide angle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
other sources for used:

www.kehcamera.com alot of used lenses, save money that way.

www.nikonians.org surf to the "for sale" area of the forum.

If money is tight and you don't really know what you want the lens for, I would suggest picking up an SB800 instead of a new lens. Get used to the camera and lens you have first, then supply the need for a new lens when you get to that point.

Hotshoe flash is the quickest way to improve your indoor photography, pop up flashes suck when it comes to taking photos.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
thanks for the links i will be sure to check them out tonight if i dont fall asleep but most definately tomorrow afternoon when i wake up. i have been growing very comfortable with the camera but i feel that i will begin to be more comfortable and begin learning more once i have the ability to do more with it. i dont learn from books, i learn from doing things. that said i think i will pick up some books because aperture and fstops always confuse me no matter how many times i try to look them up

-chris

Reaction score
wide angle.

i have a canon 10-22mm and i absolutly love it. they are so much fun.

D

DigitalN.

go check out the Sigma 18-200, very multipurpose lens, and perfect for pretty much everything. go check out Ebay, they are a very reasonable price.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
thank you for the advice i will check them out later tonight
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.