Still learning how to navigate on my Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
While loading a program the computer hung up. In Windows I hit ctrl/alt/delete and enter the Task Manager and can shut the app down.

Assuming there is something similar on this Mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In macOS, you can press "command+option(alt)+esc(escape)" and a pop up "Force Quit" window will appear. It will list all open apps, and may say "Not Responding" next to the app holding up the system.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Next is the Wifi.

On my iPad mini, when I am out and about it gives me an option to Hot Spot my iPad very easily. Power went out yesterday and found to do the same on the Air wasn't as easy.

I'm certain there's something in settings I need to do.. Just don't know what yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Next is the Wifi.

On my iPad mini, when I am out and about it gives me an option to Hot Spot my iPad very easily. Power went out yesterday and found to do the same on the Air wasn't as easy.

I'm certain there's something in settings I need to do.. Just don't know what yet...

Hello - first, your last few posts have been put in the 'Switcher Hangout' section - not appropriate for the questions asked - in the future, please select a correct forum to post - you will likely receive more attention and also will have members peruse your topics w/ more expertise in the area posted.

Second, in the above post, you tacked on the question about an iPad onto one started about macOS - this likely will be 'lost' or not seen by those interested in iDevices - a new thread should have been started, again in the correct forum.

As to your iPad question - setting up a 'hot spot' requires a cellular connection - does your iPad Air have cellular or Wi-Fi only? Dave :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Apologies, I will try better.

The Question of Wifi deals with the air not the iPad. I should have been clearer on that.

The iPad is Wifi only and grabs the Hot Spot feature quickly and asks.
The Air does not.
I found a place to use the phone tethered (USB) and that worked..
I had also turned on my phone to hotspot and still could not get hooked up by the through Wifi.

I figure I'm still doing something wrong and just don't know how yet.
Like I say, so easy wth the iPad mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There is an iPad Air and also a MacBook Air, which device are you referring to? I am assuming you have a MacBook Air and an iPad mini, by your descriptions. If the Air, is not asking to join networks, go into System Preferences > Network, select Wi-Fi in the sidebar, and make sure the box "Ask to join new networks" is checked.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Good God Mon.. I still can't get it right. Yes you guess correctly. iPad mini (which I do love) and MacBook Air.

I'm on my 'home' network now. Never asked me to join, just did. All my other devices (iPhone, iPad) are already on it.
What surprised me was it didn't do what the iPad did.
My iPhone did not show up... Reason I tethered it.

I will chase down as you say and see if I can figure it out, Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.