Trackpad/keyboard not working MacBook Air, delete .plist files temporary fix

Reaction score
The trackpad and keyboard stopped working on my MacBook Air about half a year ago. After several frustrating hours of trying to fix it I gave up and put it in a corner where I didn't have to see it. Until now when i suddenly kind of need it again.

I wrote a long post describing everything but that disappeared due to a bad internet connection so here is the story in short.

I was running El Capitain, keyboard and trackpad stopped working outside the login screen. For logging in they both worked perfectly. I reinstalled the OS which didn't fix anything. Gave up.

A couple of days ago: decided to try again. Updated to newest OS, still didn't work. Made a fresh install och the oldest possible OS I could (Yosemite), didn't work.

Searched the internet and found the solution to delete .plist files under library/preferences. THIS DID WORK!!! For a couple of hours until it stopped working again. Updated to latest OS and tried deleting the .plist files again (all except one which was needed to run the OS so it wouldn't let me). Again it worked for a couple of hours.

Does anyone know of a permanent fix to this problem? Always carrying a keyboard and a mouse with kind of defeats the purpose of having a small computer.

I know some people changed the keyboard an trackpad but changing hardware to fix a software problem seems to me like a stupid and expensive solution.

Is there any way of permanently changing the .plist files or perhaps replace them in a way that the computer doesn't again switch them for bad files? It's a completely fresh install with no new apps other then the ones from apple installed so I doubt apps are the problem.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have you narrowed it down to which plist file deletion makes things work and once things stop working, can you confirm to see that that (those) files return?

OP
K
Reaction score
I have not narrowed it down, I just deleted all of them. Do you have any suggestion for where to start or should I just start deleting them one by one?

The OS install is completely fresh, I have gone online once and tried to install express vpn (but apparently the site is blocked in china now) and installed express VPN. So the only installed app is utorrent

OP
K
Reaction score
Safe mode made no difference, that was one of the first things I tried when the problem appeared.

I just tried the NVRAM Reset with external keyboard and mouse without removing the .plist files and everything worked as it's supposed to on startup. If it stops working again I'll come back here and also try the SMC Reset. Thank you so much for the help. Hopefully the problem is gone now. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
The NVRAM reset worked for a couple of hours. Just tried the SMC reset which also gave me use of trackpad and keyboard after reset, hoping that this will be a permanent solution

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.